Chocolate Factory prequel "WONKA" greenlit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/chocolate-factory-prequel-wonka-greenlit.html

4 Likes

Not needed. Moving on…

7 Likes

Dark, gritty and unwanted.
Like supermarket chocolate.

17 Likes

WONKA BARS are made of Oompa Loompahs!!!

10 Likes

That’s why they taste of doopity doo.

13 Likes

Zero actual literary source material means this is going to be a cluster fuck of committee script writing.

6 Likes

I’m mildly surprised that Hollywood never made an ill-advised adaptation of the follow-up book Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator before they started down the road of making ill-advised prequels.

14 Likes

I’m not. This is the result of a profound lack of imagination amongst studio executives, who just have to hear the phrase “origin story” in a pitch to think they’re brilliant and insightful for green-lighting it.

4 Likes

I’m sure it can’t be that much worse than Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

The director is that of Paddington 2 which I haven’t seen, but has a 100% Tomatometer rating (with 243 reviews. Not a fluke). That has to count for something!

1 Like

“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” was always intended as a sort of impatient, improvised bed-time story from a work-weary parent. It doesn’t make sense and it doesn’t have to. It doesn’t stand up to any rational plot or character analysis, so subjecting it to a prequel is idiotic, pointless, and disingenuously cynical.

2 Likes

Paul King was the director for the Mighty Boosh, and both Paddington movies (which were great). HIs first feature film was Bunny and the Bull, which I highly recommend. Let’s put it this way: normally, I would say, this is a bad idea, but if Paul King is directing, I will watch.

3 Likes

Exactly. How about if someone films an “origin story” on myopic and greedy studio executives. Oh, wait, “The Player.”

3 Likes

WUT? why not a sequel…Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. and why TF does Labyrinth need a reboot? not everything needs a damn reboot/remake/sequel, etc. shit. shit shit shit.

2 Likes

So, will we see how the world declined into the state where families must care for their elders by putting them all in a single bed?

7 Likes

Tory austerity. Pre-covid, of course. They’d be dead now.

7 Likes

I look forward to the account of the initiation into chocolate making -

Bounty hunters, you can find her in the Neon Valley Street District on the 4th floor at the Leopard Plaza Apartment Complex. The Droid Control Marshals are full of fun rules today. No phasers, only chainsaws and electro-daggers! Remember, only card-carrying hunters can join our chase today. And as usual, there will be no reward until her cyber-soul is turned into the Star Commission

4 Likes

e54bc86d182d90285055e615791d6076

3 Likes
6 Likes