DEA's D&D-themed patches

[Permalink]

Based on that patch the Caribbean office must be high all the time.

1 Like

What is a square-ass pink?

I am guessing like a round assed pink but with four corners. (I have no idea)

1 Like

Church of the SubGenius term for mundanes.

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of disappointed that thereā€™s not one for the ABQ, maybe with an RV and a bucket of chicken.

Should that be FRPG?

Also, is it in bad taste to wear these and NASA patches together?

If I knew that, Iā€™d probably know what an ā€œFPRGā€ was, too.

fantasy rpg? Seems about right.

Looks like the White Wizard is cooking up another batch of his famous meth.

1 Like

Two letters are swapped in the postā€“right now it stands for ā€œFantasy Playing Role Game.ā€

When I was a kid living on an American army base in Frankfurt, West Germany (back when the ā€œWestā€ still matteredā€“this would have been around the late '80s), one of the stores on base had this gigantic rack of unit patches. I dunno if it was all the units stationed in Frankfurt, or all the units in Germany, or a random worldwide selection, or what. I donā€™t remember anything else about the store, or why it would sell thoseā€“normally you get your patches from the quartermaster or something, right?

In any case, lots of them had cool shit like castles and cannons and lit cherry bombs, and of course loads and loads of swords, but I found this super badass one with a crossed battleaxe and spiked mace. I have no idea what unit it was for, but I convinced Dad to buy it for me. I donā€™t remember what I did with it, either. Geez, the stuff that sticks with youā€¦

194th Armored Brigade?

1 Like

Though, I was not replying to the post. I was replying to Boundgear, who got it right.

Thatā€™s the bunny! I was hoping someone would know.

Oooh, and theyā€™re at Fort Knox now! Thatā€™s practically just over the hill. Iā€™ve been meaning to get out there sometime and check out the tanks at the Patton Museum.

Man, what was that store? Maybe Iā€™m misremembering, and it was a military-surplus store after we came home from Germany. That would make sense.

Of course, now that Iā€™m a grown-up geek, all I can think is ā€œwhy does the thrusting spike on the axe have those weird little spurs? That doesnā€™t make any sense.ā€ :-/

1 Like

Pointy-hat wizards and unicorns are not particularly D&D-themed, are they? More like generic fantasy trope to me. /pedant

Soā€¦ Lawful evil or neutral evil?

TSRā€™s original logo was a pointy-hat wizard, and thereā€™ve been unicorns in every Monster Manual Iā€™ve ever seen. The D&D ā€œassumed settingā€ is pretty much made out of every generic fantasy trope mashed together.

1 Like

Indeed. My point is that the things in question fail to convince me as particularly D&D-theme as opposed to ā€˜drinking from the same very obvious wellā€™.

Coincidentally, Iā€™m reading the first game of thrones book and thereā€™s sly nods to both unicorns and pointy-hatted wizards being hoary old fairytale clichĆ©s even inside their moderate-magic fantasy setting.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.