Dell to sell 28-inch 4k monitor for only $699

I’d love to get my hands on a 120hz IPS display, but the lack thereof has me still eyeing some TNs - point being there’s still a few scenarios that they make sense for.

I think the GSync and FreeSync solutions make more sense than 120hz, if you are talking about gaming.

If/when I can buy them, sure. :frowning:

1. Was the photo or video recorded in high enough resolution to be viewed full screen at 4K?

Of course it was, 4K is only 8 megapixels.

Nikon D4 16.2 Megapixels
Canon 1DX: 18.1 Megapixels

And there are other Canons/Nikons that offer more megapixels, and probably deliver-- Nikon D800: 36 Megapixel. Canon 5D Mark III: 22 Megapixel. Medium Format promises more.

Is the system cable of transmitting such a huge file quickly?

How fast is your SD Card?

) Is there much of a point of you investing in a 4K monitor and content when most other people can’t? In other words, how much will be you be able to share content and work with others?

Again, with photos-- people already work with large files. Perhaps when they’re posted, they’ll be downsampled to 1920x1080, but it’s most convenient to work at half (or full), rather than quarter resolution. The main issue is finding an accurate UHD monitor.

As for 4K video, that’s more of a pro thing. It’s what the industry demands–look at the tech specs for the Wolf of Wall Street. Besides, in a movie theatre, with a 50 foot screen, 4K makes sense,

Off-switch. It’s getting harder to find, I know, but it’s there.

I know. I use it a lot, but sometimes I catch a few minutes of particularly bad movie, and I have to haul myself off to the outpatient clinic

I previously worked a company that installed monitors in hospital operating rooms (primarily). We were transmitting video on 4K monitors and we were looking at actual transmissions from one location to another and not just playing a video from a machine to a monitor, so that is my experience with it. We did display photos but more as a screensaver, not as the primary use.

This technology has huge applications in telemedicine because the image is of high enough quality to diagnose disease.

The demos we did with 4K were just beautiful - of course considering the market we had the best of the best.

The company I worked with was very bleeding edge, so we worked with a lot of new monitor and touch screen technology. Of all the fun toys I got to play with when I worked there, the 4K was the clear star. It’s exciting to see it coming to the mass market at such an affordable price. What we were playing with was big bucks; way ahead of what any regular Joe or Jane could purchase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.