Design revealed for Oklahoma State

The SI Unit of Apathy is the Sigh. Maybe the SI Unit of Evil is the Cackle?

Without Santa there is no Christmas! It’s all linked, people!

1 Like

Hows about “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.”

Possibly with the rider, “This doesn’t mean you HAVE to be a dick”.

1 Like

Whether it is your intent or not, what you are arguing is that the first group to plant their flag on a spot has, by default, the right to dictate the format of any counter-protest against them.

The Christian monument is in text form specifically to declare that it is a law. They are deliberately placing these monuments in front of courthouses and state buildings in a way that says “That is a place where the law is upheld, and this is the law”.

2 Likes

The Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission is placing a moratorium on new requests. Well of course they are! The tablet-thumpers got what they want, so now they can stop any charade about being fair or inclusive.

Ah, Oklahoma! http://www.newson6.com/story/20116587/misspellings-mark-ten-commandments-monument-at-oklahoma-state-capitol?source=related

A great monument would be the Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth presented in comparable format to the Ten Commandments monument (inscribed in a stone slab). They are actually insightful and interesting commandments that would probably find a lot of people shocked at their own positive reaction once they read that they are basically the rules of Satanism! I particularly appreciate the presence of a “no rape or sexual abuse” rule which is obviously absent from the Christian commandments and literally encouraged by God and the Godly in biblical text.

1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php
Can you imagine what a badass monument this would’ve made??

2 Likes

Eh, Christianity works pretty okay if you take Satan as a metaphor (and dismiss Revelations as an obvious mushroom dream). Remember that the serpent in the Garden of Eden was just some snake, and is never actually identified with Satan.

I want a Satan statue!

Yes , silly me. whole hoof over split. Takes another drink

The image of Baphomet was created in the 19th century. While it is true Templar Knight’s were prosecuted for heresy when they suggested the deity was real in the 13th.

My interpretation is that, without a devil figure, religions based on a good vs evil dichotomy have little left to “rid yourself of” (sins, temptations from the devil, etc) in order to achieve salvation and eternal life. In order to make the good side look good there tends to be the bad side to make comparisons with. If there was no threat of burning in some torture chamber for eternity I would bet that quite a lot of people wouldn’t identify as Christian anymore. I’ve heard first-hand, countless times people saying things such as “well I may be wrong but if I’m right at least I won’t have to burn forever”, like a “better safe than sorry” approach. Without a Satan to be terrorized by we could have stayed as naked Pagans.

1 Like

Yup. It’s a crapshoot.

I don’t believe there’s convincing evidence that the Templars actually did any of the things they were accused of. King Philip IV wanted their shit, so he made up some bullshit accusations, tortured some knights until they “confessed,” then bullied the Pope into disbanding the Order.

There are many stories about Solomon’s Temple and ‘What’ the Templar Knights said/did. What can be agreed is as you say, it was a money/power grab through persecution.

As I understand it, Baphomet is a Ying/Yang symbol. Male/female. Good/bad. Dark/light. Human/animal. Above/below. Balance. It did rub against the Christian dogma of the time.

But then you’d have to take God and the Holy Ghost as metaphor, too, and golly gee, that just wouldn’t suit the flock at all.

Also, this. That said, some flavors of Christianity (Seventh-day Adventists, for one) place more weight on Satan as a real being attempting to sway people to the dark side, so there already seems to be a scale of metaphor applied to him? Her? It?
Wow. And every time I write about the peculiarities of religion it all seems so absolutely stupid to me that anyone believes this stuff.

And if you rub it hard enough, for long enough, little angels will come out.

There’s no way this will ever be actually be built and placed there, but I do wonder what would happen if it did.

My guess is graffiti and defamation, of course, on a daily basis. Would non-religious people stay next to it to “protect” it 24/7 ? This could turn into a “Cross in front of the Presidential Palace in Warsaw” situation.

With high probability, someone will try to destroy it, either with a hammer, a sprinting car, maybe even explosives.

All Christians literally believes of a real Satan.

I am Christian, I do not “literally believes of” Satan, therefore you are incorrect.

You may also be surprised to learn that not all Christians are homophobic, misogynistic, or anti-abortion.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.