Driver fails to leap retracting bridge

But this case is a straight shot, the bus thing only works on curves. (Something-something-gyroscopic-something).

1. I don’t think a car could climb anything like a 5cm drop.

First, that’s going to be an awful lot of force on the tires, I think you’ll see a double blowout. Second, you’re shoving hard up on the front of the car when it lands. The car is in free-fall, what’s going to happen? The car rotates around it’s center of mass, the back will drop. What was 5cm at the front will be a lot more than 5cm when the back gets there.

1. It certainly is possible to make this jump with sufficient velocity, not that a car could hope to obtain that velocity. At 17,694 miles per hour the car sails over the gap without difficulty. (Now, steering at that speed is another matter as you’ll have zero traction.)

In Europe, your choices of fast wagons are even greater. But I digress.
As far as the suspension unloading- I’d expect a standard road car to have somewhat less rebound damping (as opposed to compression damping…) and that yes, I think it would very likely read full extension in that time.

1 Like

Depends on whether it’s a front wheel drive vehicle or not, doesn’t it?

There’s a least a 30% chance that this idiot will blame his GPS.

1 Like

According to a police statement, the man was initially unharmed and climbed out of the vehicle, but broke several ribs and punctured a lung when attempting to escape the water onto a concrete ledge.

By doing what? Impaling himself on rebar? You’re doing it wrong!

Heck, if you limit yourself to a swish early 90s eurostyle leap there’s still plenty of choice.

Sorry, got carried away.

3 Likes

Back in the early early '80’s my friend drove his mom’s V-8 station wagon (maybe a Country Squire? I dunno. It was a woody.) That thing might’ve hit 115 mph empty, but sure the hell could still haul ass even when fully loaded with drunk teenagers.

2 Likes

He failed parabolas.

1 Like

Broken ribs and punctured lungs doesn’t sound “unharmed” to me.

1 Like

I want to know about the passenger who jumped out.

Having apparently exited the car without injury, he tried to jump onto a concrete ledge and slipped. What I don’t understand is that while this is obviously a stupid thing to do, it’s an odd stupid thing to even try. Why attempt this when the bridge is closing? He hardly fits the profile of someone trying to act out a movie scene - a 56 year old man driving a people carrier pretty slowly from his home town at 7:30 on a Wednesday morning? My guess is that he was tired/distracted on the way to work and completely missed the fact that the bridge was open - there doesn’t seem to be a barrier in this picture, so he probably missed the lights on the corner:

2 Likes

retracting bridge is the type of bridge, like drawbridge is a type of bridge. it is indeed closing.

likely not, retracting bridges are level unlike drawbridges that create ramps with a conceivably jumpable gap.

2 Likes

Being as it’s level the gap would be hard to see. If he was so distracted he missed whatever indicators were there to tell him about the huge temporary gap in the road he sure wouldn’t see the gap.

Looks like no braking whatsoever?, dude was probably texting…

3 Likes

I’m sure he’s taken that road hundreds of times before without ever being stopped at the lights at that time in the morning. If you’re on autopilot, your brain won’t necessarily check whether the road is still there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.