Ello, what's all this then? An ad-free social network

[Permalink]

Hey, would be cool to get an invite train going. Iā€™d like one please > paralyys@gmail.com .

3 Likes

Yes, I too would like that! [email removed]

[edit:]
Thanks @nielsen_chris! Got the invite!
I canā€™t invite others yet

Because we are in beta, we have limited the number of new Ello users for a short time.
Check this page often: you'll be able to invite your friends from here very soon.

But if you pm/reply Iā€™ll try and return the invite favor as soon as I can!

1 Like

It canā€™t be that good or I would have been invited already.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve sent you an invite! Iā€™ve got three more to hand out, who wants one?

1 Like

I might accept one but it would have to be from someone prestigious, like Xeni-level. Or at least Mark-level.

4 Likes

Well what this world definitely needs is a social networking platform.

10 Likes

Heh, no thanks. Since itā€™s Paul Budnitz, Iā€™ll be staying away. His past actions in the cycling industry leave little doubt in my mind as to how users of Ello will be treated.

1 Like

Iā€™d love an invite if anyone can spare it. My email address is my username up there ^^^ at gmail.com. (Got my inviteā€¦ thanks a bunch!)

1 Like

Is there somewhere one might look for background on this, if one is not part of the bicycle industry?

3 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll let people know when I have invites to continue the train.

I CAN HAZ INVITE to derek.prowseATgmail?

I think that he ripped off designs of custom bike builders ā€“ BlackSheep comes to mind.

4 Likes

Just sent you one.

1 Like

My reading of the ā€œaboutā€ page led me to believe that Ello has no visible means of support.

Had it been described as a charity financed by the fellowā€™s other operations, then I might be interested. But its source of funding is presented as a mystery. We all know how that has worked out with every other mystery on the webā€¦ full of ads.

3 Likes

After some searching:
http://theradavist.com/2014/07/budnitz-bicycles-gift/

Ouch.

5 Likes

Iā€™m interested in seeing it.

PM me an invite if youā€™ve got a spare.

Iā€™m on it but have no invites at this point.

Itā€™s very spare. Black/white with Courier font everywhere, so posts and photos are the real focal point on the right panel, but itā€™s kind of like a newspaper if you stand back, nothing really stands out except photos.

But, one needs to give such things time.

Arenā€™t ā€˜ad-free things on the internetā€™ usually ā€˜currently ad-free things whose terms of use can change at any time and definitely donā€™t oblige them to forget anything they ever learned about you when they decide to no longer be ad-freeā€™?

5 Likes

Technically, itā€™s running in AWS cloud on US east coast section. I think it is running on Ember.js with a ruby based backend/api calls with some sort of no-sql setup. Not really sure though.

It is pretty sparse but it seems like it is overly minimalistic at the expense of useability.

2 Likes