Elysium: everything that sucks about movies these days

Most BB readers probably will, too. If you go through the backlog of BoingBoing submissions, you’ll find almost excessive praise for Blomkamp’s talent on District 9 and the short film that gave birth to it, Alive in Joburg.

We ought to keep in mind that BoingBoing is a collection of people who other people find interesting, and all have different opinions. I read the review and thought it read like Andy Rooney mixed with some Reagan-era hand-wringing about violence in culture. Whatever, I probably won’t see this movie until it’s either on Netflix or Blockbuster. That’s not a slam; I just don’t go see many movies in theaters. I waited until District 9 was out of theaters before I saw it, and loved it despite it not being terribly creative.

I kinda wonder what the author would have to say about Cory Doctorow’s fiction. As fascinating as I find his interests to be, I really haven’t read anything by Cory that really strikes a nerve, (sorry, Cory.) I don’t hold anything against Cory for that, of course; obviously his fans disagree with me and that’s okay. I guess I just don’t “get” his fiction.

I can only imagine how confusing BoingBoing would be if people thought it had a consistent, single editorial vision, because:

• BoingBoing hates misogyny, but loves Die Antwoord.
  • Hates anything that disrespects women but devotes a lot of space to hiphop.
  • Both loves and hates Neil Blomkamp.
  • Has, in the past, been all for liberating women worldwide, but has defended burkas.
  • Hates representation of women in comics, but defends to the death a woman’s right to be respected while dressed as one.

The list could go on, but to me that’s what makes this website interesting. It makes you think, even if you end up thinking, “Man, what a load.” Sure, it can come across as a bunch of handwringing by entitled white people, but what of it? I get to learn about a lot of things that are outside my sphere of existence.

I’m waiting for the day when a movie about gay men will have to defend itself for not passing the Bechdel test.

13 Likes