"Bechdelgrams" are beautiful illustrations of whether a movie passes the Bechdel test

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/24/bechdelgrams-are-beautiful.html

8 Likes

In before the mansplaining…

19 Likes

Ok - I see the dots are people, the curvey lines are conversations. Red dots are women, blue dots are men. But what is a red line vs a blue line?

8 Likes

16 Likes

I am utterly shocked that the movie about an amnesiac future cop killing clone prostitutes doesn’t have any female characters talking to each other.

27 Likes

This is an awesome idea!

For those who don’t know the origin:

(Is that legible?)

20 Likes

One of my favorites does:

While another completely does NOT pass it at all:

17 Likes

Here you go:

20 Likes

Brilliant, thank you.

Daughters of the Dust? (I need to see that again.)

9 Likes

That’s a scene from the Color Purple, but I also need to rewatch Daughters of the Dust.

Another fav horror movie of mine passes as well:

14 Likes

If I’m in the right mood, the Bechdel Test can also be useful for getting certain kinds of men’s panties in a twist. :smiling_imp:

E.g., whoever made this confused mess:

21 Likes

For every “useless, stupid, overweight & incompetent dad*” trope, there are at least 3 “White men are gracious, infallible saviors!” tropes, so they can miss me with that false equiv.

*Who, somehow, still always has an attractive smart, slim wife who loves him no matter how badly he fucks up.

O_O

22 Likes

That’s the bit that isn’t “based on true events.”

13 Likes

Wouldn’t a third line style (thicker, or dashed red) help make showing the ones that pass the bechdal metric stand out more? That would clearly visually pop how many convos pass versus how many don’t within the film (and comparing across films). Love the idea and the novel visualization technique.

2 Likes

If quickly identifying the ones that pass was the goal, then sure, a different format could work better. But what if a goal is to highlight the large percentage of conversations that don’t pass? I think it works very well for that.

3 Likes

the purple background represents the patriarchal hegemony that taints everything.

1 Like

That’s some GamerGate propaganda you’ve got there.

18 Likes

The Hunt For Red October doesn’t pass the Bechdel test? Oh my stars!

In this confused mess, none of the three criteria are measurable and all are subjective. Even the closing remark about “why the Bechdel test is stupid” (lol it literally says that) is highly subjective. I thought men were supposed to be logical and women were the ones who argued based on unprovable illogical hysterics :thinking:

Then again, judging by the “art” in this “comic”, a human female has probably never been within sniffing distance of this “artist” so…

13 Likes

Yech. Yeah, I figured it was in that proximity.

Sorry all for stinkin up the joint!

12 Likes

Is the artist a 4chan dude, an incel, or both?

5 Likes