Europe, China, India & US comfortably fit into Africa's landmass

[Read the post]

1 Like

That’s not “Eastern Europe.”

That’s Central Europe.

That chart doesn’t even include Eastern Europe.

Admittedly, it’s hard to find appropriate boundaries for the European subcontinent, but the traditional boundaries stretch at least as far as the Don, sometimes to the Caucasus and the Urals, and sometimes to the Phasis.

1 Like

Hold on everybody… I got this.

12 Likes

I want to read that cartoon but it is practically illegible, even when enlarged… Ah, I see, I have to actually click the download button… much better.

1 Like

“Could you make Venice a bit bigger and everywhere else a bit smaller?”

1 Like

I know! Let’s (re)conlonize Africa! China can have a piece, and various European countries can have a piece, and the US can have a piece. There’s enough resources for everyone! Also, when comparing the areas of countries, It’s not fair to consider the US without Alaska.

1 Like

China already has a piece.

2 Likes

umm, yes? I do pay attention to the news, unlike David Lynch’s character.

1 Like

Feliks Dzherzinsky has something to say about this.

5 Likes

This seems to pop up every few years as if it is something new. It is like no one has seen a globe before.

6 Likes

Too busy looking at distorted maps.

1 Like

All maps are distorted. Seriously. Everyone should own a globe. Globes are cool.

Watch:

6 Likes

Of course, his “Mother Russia” includes Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tadzhikistan, etc. and confuses Sibirya with Ukraine.

My family’s globe has Zaire and the Soviet Union.

On the other hand, we do have a nice modern world map in the hallway. It’s a Mercator projection that tells us Greenland is the same size as Africa. It’s the sort of thing that makes you think cartographers are compensating for something.

1 Like

yeah, but most stories pop up at least once each year on Boing Boing.

Where else would I keep my booze?

4 Likes

I have a feeling that those who buy a globe for thousands of dollars guineas will be stuck with 2015 geography for a very long time-- perhaps generations.

#boozeglobe

By the time you’re to the tropics, you’ll no longer care about axial tilt :smile:

I kinda want this…

7 Likes

Wait, why say “globes”? Isn’t it the point that globes don’t misrepresent the sizes of continents?

12 Likes

So glad you shared that, I was just looking for a £39,000 globe and couldn’t find any. In all honesty those are gorgeous.

2 Likes