Flexi Freedom retractable cord dog leash

[quote=“stefanjones, post:21, topic:54593”]
For the same reasons as letting a little yappy mop use a extendable leash. The dog can get into trouble, wander into traffic, and there’s no way to control it.
[/quote]No way to control it at all?

That’s not been my experience with the leashes. They have locks, ya know? When walking dogs with a retractable leash on busy city sidewalks, I lock it at a safe distance. I unlock it and allow them more distance in less busy areas. I reel them in like fish by swaying my arms widely towards and away from them (takes a few seconds if they are attempting to lean away) and have them near me again and locked before I head towards busy areas again. There’s no loss of control.

Meanwhile, I’ve seen people with non-retractable leashes get dragged to the ground multiple times over the years along with irresponsible behavior. However, that doesn’t color my view of those kind of leashes, just the individual owners of the dogs.

The worst I’ve seen is people letting their dogs have a little fun chasing a squirrel to a nearby tree here and there. No dogs, humans or crafty squirrels were harmed.

[quote=“ejeffrey, post:40, topic:54593”]
if I see a dog on a leash that is extended, they are being irresponsible by definition.
[/quote]I don’t see it that way. As long as they are extended in an amount of space that doesn’t affect you or your dog, they are being responsible by definition.

Your problem seems to be with irresponsible dog owners, not retractable leashes.

Sure, maybe there are people who I don’t notice because they keep the leash under 6’ at all times when someone else is in sight. I probably wouldn’t notice this.

What I’ve seen is the overwhelming majority of people (including myself) who keep the leash retracted closely and locked in busy areas. I’m in a very busy area in Cap Hill where we have about 2-3 dogs go by every five minutes (depending on time of day). We’re on a corner balcony and can see dog walkers coming from several blocks in 3 directions and all directions when we’re walking on the street around here.

I’ve asked my loved one sitting here and some friends here as well… The only issues we’ve seen is with people with short leashes (probably because they’re more commonly used) and dogs going at each other on occasion. I haven’t seen an aggressive dog on a retractable leash go after another dog except at dog parks, but that’s happening with all kinds of leashes there.

Sure, I see irresponsible owners with short leashes. The difference is, if someone is irresponsible or inattentive or I just don’t want to interact with their dog, but has a 6’ leash, I can generally choose to avoid them and their dog.

I haven’t found that to be the case on narrow sidewalks, but I see your point. But, again, I think the doom, gloom and general hyperventilating over these retractable leashes is pretty over the top. I’ve seen annoying dog owner behavior like anyone else who walks around in a city and busy suburbs, but I haven’t seen all the rampant “mayhem” being described by some in this ridiculously alarmist thread when it comes to those who own retractable leashes.

Butt hurt from people who don’t want to train their dog properly. If all you are using is six feet, all you need is six feet. Try and find a dog obedience course that doesn’t require a six foot leather lead. If you care about training your dog properly, you get the proper equipment. If you don’t, you post silly things in comments on blog posts.

If you have a chihuahua on a proper lead and someone is coming down the sidewalk with a pitbull on a retractable leash straining at the bit, you see how you feel.

3 Likes

There’s a big difference between a 2 foot leash and the Flexi. You and your dog had a great working relationship with that 2 foot leash. That doesn’t compare to a 20 foot leash in any way, shape , or form and the people who don’t have the connection you and your dog had.

1 Like

I stand corrected. I didn’t read the part of your comment where you said you used the Flexi yourself. I apologize but I still stand by my opinion of how misused Flexies are by the general, lazy public.

1 Like

[quote=“pickleschlitz, post:43, topic:54593”]
Butt hurt from people who don’t want to train their dog properly.
[/quote]If you train your dog properly, they’ll be fine on a retractable leash. If you don’t train your dog properly, they won’t be fine on any kind of leash and may attack other dogs when they pass them on sidewalks. And, when retractable leashes are locked it makes no difference either way which kind you use.

If anything, the hyperventilating and “butt hurt” is coming from your side in this thread.

If you have a chihuahua on a proper lead and someone is coming down the sidewalk with a pitbull on a retractable leash straining at the bit, you see how you feel.

You’re offering a scenario of an irresponsible dog owner, not an example of most people that own retractable leashes.

1 Like

You mean to take space away from “uptight” dog walkers.

No, retractable leashes… retract — and give just as much space as any other leash.

2 Likes

[quote=“rattypilgrim, post:45, topic:54593”]
the general, lazy public
[/quote]Welp, maybe you live in a shitty, backwards town, but here in Denver most of the public is capable of using a retractable leash just fine. I’ve also found this to be the case in many other cities and suburbs within other parts of the country as well.

Good luck within your generally lazy town.

1 Like

A gun retractable lead is supposed to be funny?! Jesus Christ, a 9 year old boy of color not to mention a teen or adult could be shot dead by the Denver Police Force thinking it was the real thing and it shames the dog on the other end of the leash. I’ve been to Denver and it might be the big fish in the little pond of Colorado but don’t exaggerate how hip your burg is.

My “lazy town” is filled year around with tourists from all over the world. Don’t make assumptions.

The “Old Yeller” model for dogs that need a little extra control?

2 Likes

[quote=“rattypilgrim, post:50, topic:54593”]
A gun retractable lead is supposed to be funny?!
[/quote]Yep.

That’s shrill and overly alarmist concern driving trollies. But, then again, that’s par for the course for some of you in this thread.

I’ve been to Denver and it might be the big fish in the little pond of Colorado but don’t exaggerate how hip your burg is.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that most people that live in Denver are capable of responsibly handling a retractable leash. I’ve seen it for myself as have several other people that are with me right now laughing hysterically at your hysterical post. You, on the hand, sound like you’ve only visited here and don’t have a clue. Frankly, you sound too uptight for our town anyway…

And… you should also attempt better reading comprehension in the future, because I also mentioned I’ve lived in other cities and suburbs throughout the United States and witnessed the same behavior from most of the public. So there’s nothing “hip” nor novel about people in Denver having the basic capability of handling a retractable leash.

I mean, in your town retractable leashes may be considered a very exotic, complicated bit of machinery, I dunno…

So… which town do you live in where the public is “generally lazy” and therefore incapable of handling a retractable dog leash? We’re genuinely very curious about this out here in “hip” small fish Denver.

Hey Cow!

You still haven’t mentioned a dog obedience course that recommends the use of retractable leashes. I’ve never seen one. Have you?

1 Like

In this case I’m proud to be called a concern troll. Law enforcement shoots first and never asks questions later, if you haven’t been keeping up with the news.

2 Likes

[quote=“rattypilgrim, post:55, topic:54593”]
I’m proud to be called a concern troll.
[/quote]Of course you are. They almost always are.

By the way, the reason I like that picture and posted it was because I find the similarities between this discussion and gun control discussions humorously similar.

Ha ha ratty totally misses the point!

Leashes are tools. You obviously know how to use yours with your dogs.

I have plenty of personal experience with dog owners who don’t. There is a large overlap with owners who don’t seem to have trained their dogs at all.

2 Likes

And the people with the bone headed points to make, focus on answering the people who miss the point!

I used to train service dogs. What’s your dog training background?

1 Like