Florida Mayor, immediately following prayer praising America as a land of freedom, violates civil rights

I agree.

2 Likes

What I donā€™t understand is why for so many people this is simply too much to ask. Iā€™m fine with anyone believing what they want, but for some reason the suggestion that I shouldnā€™t have to participate in or listen to their prayers, especially at government functions, is taken by many to mean that Iā€™m the oppressor.

Then again these are usually people who are surprised to learn that the use of a Bible when taking the Oath of Office is not required, and theyā€™re even disturbed to learn that John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law. They typically call themselves defenders of the United States, but are extraordinarily ignorant of its laws and history.

4 Likes

The mayor in that video clearly, and incorrectly, calls out the appropriately behaving citizen as somehow offensive to the memory of men and women who died to create and preserve Americaā€™s special brand of freedom. He then immediately walks all over the freedom they died for by asking a representative of our government to remove a peaceful attendee from a community meeting.

We never have to pledge allegiance to a symbol, religious or government. Using the dead bodies of people who defended that right as an excuse to take it away is gross.

4 Likes

The pledge itself did not have under God, Americans once understood the separation of church and state, we should not be having this conversation.

3 Likes

On a somewhat related note, it bothers me that many baseball teams now expect people to stand and sing ā€œGod Bless Americaā€ during the 7th inning stretch instead of ā€œTake Me Out to the Ballgameā€. I was at a game this weekend and people were giving dirty looks because I used that moment as an opportunity to hit the restroom.

Could be worse. Trying being British. God Save the Queen? The bloody national anthem is a prayer to an anachronistic insult to democracy. And the monarch is the head of the state religionā€¦

Which is probably why we donā€™t sing it all the time (well, that and the fact that itā€™s also an awful dirge).

1 Like

Well, at least yours has some history behind it. Your Anthem is British. Our anthem is a British tavern shanty.another awful dirge. No offense to the country who gave us the enlightened ideas of the democratic revolution, but our Country gave birth to John Phillip Sousa. More than a few of his American songs would be a perfect Anthem, We still have a tavern shanty written in another country. I would prefer Woody Guthrie.

3 Likes

Try covertly substituting the Sex Pistols version wherever possible. Substantial improvement.

Why Mycotoxins are your birthright, a poison-pen screed is only a bad day away. And today qualified.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.