Free "freedom clip" turns off K-Cup DRM

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Can you stop being so damn accurate, @doctorow, at predicting the future? I don’t exactly want to live in the slightly dystopian world of Makers.

Or perhaps I should be thanking you for the warning.

12 Likes

Uh, wouldn’t this violate the DMCA?

And, really, the better solution is DON’T BUY ANYTHING FROM KEURIG, INCLUDING THEIR COFFEE MAKERS.

Like, what’s wrong with other ways to make coffee and with teapots that you need to produce lots of difficult/impossible-to-recycle waste instead, anyway?

18 Likes

Creating waste keeps the economy functioning and the money supply flowing upwards from you to them, citizen.
I have a manual, hand pump espresso machine that just works, and has done so for over 7 years. You see how I am failing to spend money and create dividends - sorry, jobs?

12 Likes

No.

(2)
Notwithstanding the provisions of
subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person may develop and employ
technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to
circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to
enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the
purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created
computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to
achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not
constitute infringement under this title.

(1) This isn’t a computer program
(2) It’s for interoperability

5 Likes

Awesome, since its a giveaway they can’t get in legal trouble. In both form and function it reminds me of those plastic swap tools you could use to pull open your PS2 drive while it was running, and put in Non-‘Protected’ games. Especially because i believe that whole scheme was also just the system looking for a special barcode printed on the inside rim of the disc (not an expert).

I bought an aeropress after seeing this BB post. I’m enjoying a cup from it right now c: (no special tools required)

3 Likes

I use a refillable K-cup with my Keruig. If you only want one cup of coffee, there is no waste and very little cleanup.

5 Likes

I’m holding out for one of these http://boingboing.net/2014/09/02/brew-coffee-19th-century-style.html

2 Likes

Also, Rogers does this because they sell their coffee in a biodegradable replacement for the Keurig cup.

AFAIK, Rogers is the only roaster who offers a biodegradable cup.

This sort of solution is really practical for the office that has a shared kitchen. At home, I drink cold brew; but at the office, Rogers works best for me.

3 Likes

We got a job killer here! This guy hates people having jobs!

4 Likes

That’s why I ordered my freedom clip months ago. I’ve been using this refillable cup for over a year and it’s fantastic! I don’t remember paying as much for it as Amazon is charging now, and there are probably less expensive versions. I bought another brand for less than $10 and it works, but poorly compared to solofill. The lid on that one doesn’t stay shut, and the coffee comes out noticeably weaker.
http://www.amazon.com/Solofill-K3-GOLD-CUP-Refillable/dp/B00C3828WA

3 Likes

Does this count as ‘jailbreaking’? I wonder if Keurig is going to go Prendass on them

(Prendass = my term for the copyright troll firm Prenda Law, “behaving like a Prendass”)

4 Likes

That diagram looks like some sort of toilet that one might find at the Mos Eisley spaceport.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder - I’ve just ordered one!

1 Like

As mentioned by others, if you don’t support this sort of business model then a good start is to not give them your money. Don’t buy their product.
ANY product that requires you to use only their proprietary consumables is selling the consumables.
This applies to blood glucose monitors, inkjet printers or coffee makers.
Spending your money on products that can use a wide range of consumables, or consumables that can be used in a wide range of products is the real answer.

6 Likes

I still prefer the Aeropress despite the work.
I should print some gears and adapter to automate slow grinding on my Hario ceramic, that and boiling a kettle is the big slowdown in my morning coffee ritual.
With an aeropress, stainless fine filter, hand grinder, and a pan to roast beans; all I need is to buy some coffee trees and I can master the complete weapons grade fuel cycle. Then nobody can block my access to hopefully good coffee. K-cup might save time but is like a phone where you know there are apps written specifically to spy on you or to squeeze you for money. Still a cute hack and great PR but why cant we have out of the box user friendly stuff that doesn’t require a hack to work for us? Hacks should start with already making something good better, not jailbreaking a captive thing.

7 Likes

And those biodegradable cups contain about twice the amount of coffee of a standard K-Cup, fixing one of the biggest reasons those things make shit coffee.

5 Likes

Rogers Family Coffee makes a superior type of biodegradable kcup that also contains better coffee. It is fantastic they are giving away this devise to defeat this evil scheme

3 Likes

Doooeeeeeeeeet! :smiley:

(And share the OpenSCAD-made parts?)

True. Jailbreak ones are still the second-best, though.

2 Likes

A lot of people already had Kuerigs, and may not be able to spend the money to replace it. But beyond that I understand that Kuerig’s biggest market is business/institutional. So if one of their machines is the only practical way to make coffee at work, and you don’t want to deal with their bullshit you’re sort of stuck without a way to circumvent this.

5 Likes