Keurig recalls 6.6 million home coffee brewing machines

[Permalink]

1 Like

Conspiracy to get people to switch to the new DRM-enabled units?

5 Likes

You get burned every time you buy a K-Cup

28 Likes

One day, these will be rare collectibles, like the Corvair.

2 Likes

And they’ll run just about as well, with a few heat issues, natch.

4 Likes

I’m thinking this has nothing to do with burns and everything to do with the easy way to override the DRM that was publicized recently.

5 Likes

Next up: “Our engineers have traced the root cause of the incident to the use of unapproved coffee pods, and we request that the CPSC draft appropriate regulations forbidding manufacturers from selling them.”

7 Likes

“Hot liquid could escape…”
Note the careful avoidance of the term “coffee”.

8 Likes

The Corvair would probably make better coffee, too.
There’s a reason for a recall. Not only do K machines cost more (in all ways) to normal home brewing - I have yet to taste a cup that was even decent.

2 Likes

Aren’t there other things than coffee that these things can make? I think I saw lipton tea K-cups, which sounds like one of the worst possible things to happen to tea since insta-brew iced tea crystals.

Maybe “hot liquid” is accurate, and not a tongue in cheek note that these things make shitty, well, everything.

1 Like

FYI to people trying to check if they’re affected, their website has a pretty nasty bug. When you submit your serial number and info but get something wrong (like don’t have the exact date of purchase, WTF who remembers that?) it will take you back to the page and have the range of serial numbers for your color incorrect. You need to select a different color and then go back to your color again to get the page’s javascript to load in the right range of serial numbers. This problem made me think my red brewer was OK, but luckily I realized it’s just a broken page. Bottom line is their webpage is screwed up and you should call them to check for sure.

I’d say they should direct their efforts towards making better products and websites instead of DRM.

2 Likes

Damn you North Korea!

7 Likes

I’m adding this to my list of reasons not to invest in a Keurig machine. The only value I see in owning one is if I regularly had to make hot beverages for a large number of extremely finicky people who were all in a major hurry.

Frankly the commercials where a woman starts to brew a cup of coffee by herself and is suddenly harassed by a large crowd of strangers all demanding separate drinks makes owning a Keurig even less appealing than their propensity for breaking.

3 Likes

I’ll take my chances with the one I have. 100 complaints out of 6.6 million. I like my odds of survival.

2 Likes

Damn. I thought this was the perfect companion appliance to my Cornballer.

2 Likes

God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural… fluids. God bless you all"

2 Likes

The Nespresso, on the other hand…

What? Its pods cost a dollar each? Never mind…

3 Likes

For the record, that’s at Amazon: they’re more like $0.70 from the Nespresso website or retail stores that carry them. Not cheap, except in comparison to paying a barista to make your morning joe.

And I was reading the new york times

Some decisions are easy (rendered pork fat, fresh pasta); others are a toss-up depending on who’s in the kitchen (chicken stock, salad dressing). Where single-serve coffee falls on that spectrum depends on whether you regard coffee as something you make or something you drink.

“Americans under the age of 40 are thinking about coffee pricing in cups,” said Ric Rhinehart, executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America. “If you asked my mother how much coffee cost, she would have told you that the red can was $5.25 a pound and the blue can was $4.25. If you ask people in their 20s and 30s, they’ll say coffee is $1.75 to $3.75 a cup.”

This generational shift helps explain why single-serve coffee is the fastest-growing sector of the home market. According to a study from the National Coffee Association, single-serve coffee is now the second most popular method of preparation after conventional drip brewers, by far the dominant method. In 2011, 7 percent of the cups of coffee consumed in the United States were made with a single-serve brewer, up from 4 percent in 2010.

Might as well get a real espresso machine at those prices, though. Nespresso’s better than Keurig, but where does it stand amongst home espresso machines of similar initial cost?

2 Likes