Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

Again, sorry for my poor conversational skill, this has gotten me in trouble in the past as well.

I don’t think the threats should be ignored, even if they aren’t backed up by actual deeds, they are still a criminal act and should be dealt with by the police. If people react in some other way, the ones making the threats will ignore everything else apart from “I made that person do that.” Admittedly, even involving the police does that, but then they will have the law falling on them which will hopefully give them more pressing matters to attend to.

Yep, I was going to mention that. I have a genderqueer pride flag decal on my car.

1 Like

Alright I’ll shut up. :wink:

But before I do…I’m saying that it’s no surprise when a victim complains of harassment. But when those who aren’t the intended victims speak up, that’s when real change starts. GG isn’t going to go away if only those who are the targets complain. Everyone needs to speak out against it. So those who say I don’t have an opinion or I don’t care, you’re part of the problem.

2 Likes

Here you are, essentially saying that rape and death threats are similar to speaking out against and discussing that harassment. This is the same bullshit I’ve heard while fighting for marriage equality. I bet the same bullshit arguments were told to those fighting for civil rights, also by people without a dime in the game or any understanding of the subject. Sigh. You and everyone like you are part of the fucking problem.

2 Likes

I NEVER SAID OR IMPLIED THAT. Not even close. Read my comment again.

I saw even the animated one, after minor digging.

Given the many times demonstrated unreliability of the public “screampinion” in emotionally laden discussions, these are unsuitable for deriving context.

That a large number of people joins a bandwagon of calling something a $thing does not yet make it a $thing.

But it definitely attracts clicks and eyeballs, so this scheme of “discussion-making” won’t be replaced with anything more reliable anytime soon.

Citation for your claim, please. And the fact that you think the police are always or even sometimes helpful to women who are victims of harassment or worse: hahahahahaha.

why do you keep lecturing us about a subject you admit to not having much knowledge of it concern for?!?!

1 Like

Even went so far as to add an avatar, too! Impressive!

1 Like

I’m just going to quote three words what you were responding to:

I can’t even see how to read this uncharitably as @marilove blaming all men, so pulling the “not all men” card seems pretty out of place here.

The problem is that I just don’t see this happening. If there really were two camps, gamergate and anti-gamergate and they were just throwing insults and threats back and forth, then I could see stepping back and saying, “Whoa, I don’t want anything to do with this.” But there is one camp, it began its existence to attack a particular person and expanded outward from there, and the people who are against that camp are not an organized “other side” they are just people who think that the hashtag is inextricably linked to terrible behaviour.

If there was a gang committing crimes downtown and most of the people in the city said things like, “Wow, we have to do something about that gang,” and “People in that gang are real assholes,” would you take the same stance? “I have no dog in this fight.” One side of the “fight” is criminals harassing people and the other side are the bulk of civil society who want criminal harassment to stop. It’s a very weird thing to go out of your way to declare your neutrality about.

Maybe you imagine that reporting these threats to the police will get something done. It won’t. Maybe Felicia Day can get something done because she’s been on real TV shows, I don’t know, but apparently Sarkeesian can’t get police to keep guns out of an event that someone has threatened to shoot up (this may or may not be because of a bad state law, I’m not assigning blame, I just think there is some blame to assign). If reporting threats to police resulted in action that caused that person to stop making threats and ensured that person would never act on their threats, then I can see why all of this discussion about gamergate would seem silly - why not just report the criminals and move on? That is not at all how it works.

7 Likes

Your opinion is entirely about other peoples opinions. What a load of hot air when you complain about the status quo!

1 Like

I moved 5 posts to a new topic: Maybe we read manga art styles in opposing ways

1 Like

Again, no one said that. And while your support is,appreciated, you are not immune to criticism. It’s important that allies LISTEN to those they claim to support. Bit you HAVEN’T actually said anything supportive. You’ve spent the entire time complaining about those you claim to support! That isn’t how being an ally works.

1 Like

No. That’s a fantastically terrible attempt at derailing the conversation. If you’re gonna trolley, try a little harder than that.

2 Likes

I beg to differ. I actually said that everyone needs to get involved in order to see change happen and stick. Not having an opinion or staying out isn’t the same as supporting an issue. I oppose GG and what it stands for. If more men took that position, the GG peeps would be marginalized.

I’m not attacking you or anything like that but if came out and said something like “Don’t you love it when women blah blah blah”, I’ll bet you wouldn’t appreciate it, especially if it was contrary to who you are. That’s what I’m trying to get across.

1 Like

I’m not sure Boing Boing brought GG to the level of “winning”, the way you have here.

You ever wonder if your own focus on winning (and by extension, losing) is maybe part of the problem?

2 Likes

You said what other people should do. We all totally agree on that. What else are you doing? What other sort of leadership are you offering? Any examples -other- than motivational criticism of the side you purport to support?

I’m not attacking you or anything like that but

oh, you’re not… but. Yeah. Believe it or not, people know that means you’re attacking them. Certainly wasn’t followed by a compliment. Or even an acknowledgement. Not one “I can see how you might read it that way” was to be had.

Some Pig.

1 Like

The very post you are responding to stands as a contradiction.

1 Like

THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID. I said, “Don’t you love it when people, especially men…”. I was talking about Mansplaining. Which women also can do, but it’s not as common. So yes, I do in fact hate when women pull that crap!

Stop lecturing me and misrepresentating my very clear statements.

1 Like

So, “Speak up, or you’re part of the problem” (specifically “Silence = Death”) was a valid stance back in the 80s, but it’s not applicable now?

What else are you doing? What other sort of leadership are you offering other than commenting on the internet?

1 Like

I’m sorry, apparently I touched a nerve. Apologies.