GHCQ and David Cameron hoaxed by prank caller high on "booze and cocaine"

[Permalink]

1 Like

Given that telephones are, by default, configured to annoy you whenever anyone calls the associated number, I can understand wanting to limit distribution; but it seems slightly insane to actually depend on a phone number being ‘secret’ for any purpose more serious than keeping down nuisance call volume(and even there, unless you need a number to be accessible by unexpected callers, whitelist the expected callers and silence the rest).

It’s like watching people pretend that social security numbers are some kind of secret authentication code.

4 Likes

I guess the journalist at the Sun can now expect a subpoena for his/her phone records to track down this menace to society. May as well get emails and web-history too.

After all, this hoax-caller certainly fits the description of a terrorist. He carried out: an action ‘to influence government’, ‘for the purpose of advancing a political cause’, which ‘interferes with an electronic system’.

Everyone involved is toast.

1 Like

[quote=“Sid, post:3, topic:50764, full:true”]I guess the journalist at the Sun can now expect a subpoena for his/her phone records to track down this menace to society. May as well get emails and web-history too.[/quote]You think the government bothers with subpoenas any more? How quaint.

2 Likes

GHCQ or GCHQ make up your mind…
<3

1 Like

Given that a phone call was involved, the GCHQ probably already has the records it needs in the giant database. Once somebody tells them what happened, they’ll probably be able to retrospectively connect the dots easily enough.

1 Like

Yes, it was a bit silly of the prankster to admit to taking drugs, unless they happen to be prescription ones, considering who he was pranking.

Oh, I’m sure that neither Cameron nor any of his ‘security’ hatchetmen will be feeling the least bit vindictive after this episode, no doubt they’ll all just have a jolly chuckle and definitely not use that against him in any way.

1 Like

Cameron could have learned a thing or two from a former U.S. President.

https://screen.yahoo.com/ask-president-carter-000000735.html

1 Like

“Anybody viewing that would have to say it is not only a concern but it must never happen again,” [the Surveillance Camera Commissioner ] told 5 Live Breakfast.

The same language we use for 9/11 also frames our response to a security agency being embarrassed.

3 Likes

Oh, sure. Big Pharma’s OK, but ask about Prince Albert in a can and suddenly GCHQ is all over you.

2 Likes

Worst thing about e-cigarettes: you can’t call up a place and ask if they have Sir Walter Raleigh in a vape. On the other hand some do understand that the three most important things are location, location, location.

Sorry to go OT. Please resume normal discussion now.

2 Likes

He asked for and was given the telephone number in question and then reported this to the Prime Minister, bypassing the, at least temporarily, incompetent agency which leaked the information… whilst significantly mentally impaired by coke and booze.

Give the guy a job.

2 Likes

Can people stop posting vids from this crap site??? They don’t work outside the US. Also: IT’S FUCKING YAHOO ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

3 Likes

Sorry about that. Until I found it I’d forgotten Yahoo even still existed. That should have given me a clue. Here’s a transcript. It’s from a Saturday Night Live episode. The sketch is “Ask The President”, with President Jimmy Carter (played by Dan Aykroyd) taking live unscreened phone calls.

Walter Cronkite: Thank you, Mr. President, ha ha! Our next call is Peter Elkin of Westbrook, Oregon, whom I am told is 17 years of age.

Peter (on phone): Hello? Hello?

President Jimmy Carter: Yes. Hello, Peter?

Peter (on phone): Is this the President?

President Jimmy Carter: Yes, it is.

Walter Cronkite: Do you have a question for the President?

Peter (on phone): Uh… I, uh… I took some acid… I’m afraid to leave my apartment, and I can’t wear any clothes… and the ceiling is dripping, and uh… I, uh…

Walter Cronkite: Well, thank you very much for calling, sir…

President Jimmy Carter: Just a minute, Walter, this guy’s in trouble. I think I better try to talk him down. Peter?

Peter (on phone): Yeah…?

President Jimmy Carter: Peter, what did the acid look like?

Peter (on phone): They were these little orange pills.

President Jimmy Carter: Were they barrel shaped?

Peter (on phone): Uh… yes.

President Jimmy Carter: Okay, right, you did some orange sunshine, Peter.

Peter (on phone): Very good of you to know that, sir.

President Jimmy Carter: How long ago did you take it, Peter?

Peter (on phone): Uh… I don’t know. I can’t read my watch.

President Jimmy Carter: Alright, Peter, just listen. Everything is going to be fine. You’re very high right now. You will probably be that way for about five more hours. Try taking some vitamin B complex, vitamin C complex… if you have a beer, go ahead and drink it…

Peter (on phone): Okay…

President Jimmy Carter: Just remember you’re a living organism on this planet, and you’re very safe. You’ve just taken a heavy drug. Relax, stay inside and listen to some music, Okay? Do you have any Allman Brothers?

Peter (on phone): Yes, I do, sir. Everything is okay, huh Jimmy?

President Jimmy Carter: It sure is, Peter. You know, I’m against drug use myself, but I’m not going to lay that on you right now. Just mellow out the best you can, okay?

Peter (on phone): Okay…!

President Jimmy Carter: Okay.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.