Giant underwater plug

[Permalink]

1 Like

“For this job we’ll need Thunderbird 4!”

2 Likes

220, 221, whatever it takes.

6 Likes

How did this not make the 2014 Christmas Gift List?

5 Likes

you’re saying they should have plugged it?

6 Likes

I love seeing crazy hardware like this. Then seeing there’s a bunch of companies that make lots of crazy huge super-specialized stuff like this and more that you would never imagine. Then finding that there are magazines and journals about it, like ‘Underwater Cabling Quarterly’ or something, and conventions.

7 Likes

Yeah, technology is like an onion!

This particular wet-mating undersea power cable was talked up a bit in this convention clip:

Tangentially, I also think cathodic protection is neat, be it in water heaters or cabling gear or ships.

2 Likes

Do they come in gross packages, or is that a one per order? Also, can they be prequalified for parachute drops? You know, if I really need one while I’m in the city, as opposed to being out in the countryside? And does it come in camouflage?

2 Likes

That’s what she said.

I need new reading glasses. At first I thought that said - “giant underwear plug”.
Got me to click it, though… :smile:

2 Likes

I expected an enormous one of these:

5 Likes

I expected:

(Edited for cuteness)

2 Likes

Can I use it for my xmas display?

My neighbors, I pretty sure, have 2 or 3 of these already.

And you thought token ring was a funky connector https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_ring

Are the contacts 24k gold?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.