Snuglet - prevent accidental power cable disconnects

[Permalink]

LOLOLOL!

5 Likes

#FirstWorldProblems

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s a first world problem, but the difference between the original mag-plug and the lower profile one is huge. I backed their kickstarter and it works as advertised.

I just wish theyā€™d come up with something similar for the Thunderbolt cable. Iā€™ve got an expansion dock at the other end of mine and if I slightly shift my laptop or sometimes even look at it wrong and 4 disk drives, a scanner, a 3-D printer, my internet connection and several other things instantly go away.

There was a kickstarter to group the power plug, thunderbolts, USB and audio into one massive plug, but that didnā€™t meet their goal. Iā€™ve looked into 3D printing something, but for now some copper tape wrapped around the business end of the cable helps.

1 Like

I have had to replace one macbook power supply because the cable failed right at the magsafe connector, so I would prefer to have the connector pop out under tension.

1 Like

Relevantā€¦

Why? Because Fuck You, thatā€™s why!

4 Likes

Wait - this wasnā€™t an April Fools Day post?

ā€¦and? Are they any less worthy of getting solved?

Iā€™m a software developer, and my rMBP is a tool I use constantly. The MagSafe 2 cable used to get unseated many times a day, an annoyance when you are trying to concentrate and get work done. Snuglet fixed that. Itā€™s been a win for me.

I can see Snuglet increasing the chance of damaging the cable, or possibly even pulling the computer off a surface, because it seats the connector much more tightly. But based on my experience, Iā€™ll take those odds.

Of course not. Solve away.

Itā€™s the dramatic statements like in the OP that I am taking a dig at:

Millions suffer in silence

Woe is me! My Macbook comes unplugged!

1 Like

Is this really anything to do with magnetics? Seems a shim to add some physical friction to the mag port, not increase the magnetism by some magical way :confused:

Well, such things can be pretty annoying. Double so when they keep happening over and over AND OVER. And triple so if preventable by a better design.

You have no idea how hypocritical this comment of yours is, do you? Heh.

Do you know what ā€œfacetiousā€ means? Sarcasm? Humor? Do any of these words mean anything to you? Also, the irony of this over-dramatic comment of yours is not lost on me. Thanks for the laugh!

I am dying for an explanation. Unless you are just referring to complaining about tech on forums?

I am quite acquainted with humor, satire, etc. Nothing about the OP or this invalidates my dig, because it is funny.

ā€œMillions suffer in silenceā€ is what we with a sense of it would refer to as humor. Not as in one of ā€œthe humorsā€ but rather a joke. You might do some research into them. They are relatively common.

I think maybe it holds the connector square in the receptacle, so it has to pull directly away in stead of ā€˜rockingā€™ away. Iā€™ve never used a magsafe connector, but Iā€™ve had to separate strong magnets and it helps a lot if you can get them to tilt. Snuglet might add mechanical friction as well.

The like on my post suggests that I am perfectly hilarious to at least one person.

In real life, you would in fact find me stand-up-comic* funny.

*German stand-up comics

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense :slight_smile: