Score a spare charger for your Macbook for over 40% off in the Boing Boing store

[Read the post]

You might want to check these before you post them. The stacksocial page says the 60W version is compatible with 13" MacBook Pros, but everything I can find says Magsafe 2 isn’t backwards compatible with the older MacBook Pros that are Magsafe 1. But, hey, at least it’s not another VPN!

2 Likes

I see an apple logo, but no indication in the text that this is an apple product. Is boingboing selling counterfeit goods?

3 Likes

There is a (getting hard to find) adapter that allows MagSafe 1 chargers to power MagSafe 2 computers, but not vice versa.

This adapter cannot easily be used with older Mac notebooks which take MagSafe 1.

Almost certainly fake.

2 Likes

Well, I bought 2 power adapters and 2 thunderbolt to ethernet adapters when I purchased my macbook pro, so I’m guessing I’m not the target audience for this.

It says it right under SPECS:

Includes:
Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter for MacBook Air (white)

I don’t see any indication that this is fake.

I almost want to get this because my damn cat has eaten through four of the fucking cables — I swear, Apple puts some pheromone in them to make them attractive to cats — but each time it happens I swear to myself that this is the last time I’m ever leaving the cable out where he can get it, and I don’t see why past failure should be any indication of future failure, so I’m just going to assume that the one I bought last week will be the LAST ONE I EVER BUY.

Seriously, though, if anyone knows a good protection technique — I don’t think duct tape will cut it, I think I might need metal… — I’d love to hear it.

I’ve heard that rubbing hot sauce on the cable will discourage them. Haven’t had the opportunity to try it myself, though.

“Method 3 of 4: Making Cords Unappealing” on this WikiHow page has a variety of suggestions for things to put on cables, including purpose-built bitter cord covers.

but this could encourage some human spicy+hot lovers to nibble the cable : )

I put super-bitter “no-chew” spray on it. Made my hands stink to high-heavens for weeks. The cat would lick it, look at me as if to say “what, you thought this would stop me?” and then start chewing on it.

I may try the foil tape, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.