Girl's Life v Boy's Life: "Do you Know When to Shut Up" vs "Jokes to impress"

In the very least you have a stereotype of who the clueless are, though I take your point this doesn’t necessarily mean you have stereotyped all white males. On the other hand, this is still a stereotype and this particular exemplar could be interpreted as confirmation bias.

stereotype of whom? the clueless? ah, the age old struggle for clueless liberation. “if only they’d stop calling me out on things, or asking me to learn and grow!”

3 Likes

Yeah, he’s saying that those who are clueless in discussions about race and sex (i.e., racists and misogynists) are white males. If I said that most crack smokers are black, would that be stereotypical, or not?

1 Like

Stereotyping is bad, except in certain cases like baby eating Republicans and stupid, mindless sheep who follow a religion.

2 Likes

Look!

Up in the Sky!

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

No!

Its…

STRAAAAAAAWWWWWWW MAAAAAAAN!!!

No, I’m saying that if someone is obviously so privileged they are completely oblivious to how privileged they are, then one can logically deduce they likely belong to the most privileged social group, and this need not involve stereotyping, just a really basic grasp of the fundamentals of social power structure.

6 Likes

That would be a question that could be answered factually by empirical observation. It is the assertions you make based on the answer that might be stereotypical.

3 Likes

Many of the comments to this post have proven that it is actually not girls who need to know when to shut up.

6 Likes

It is a stereotype to say that victims of discrimination due to stereotyping are generally not white males? It is a stereotype to say that being a victim of discrimination would greatly change a person’s view on stereotypes?

What I want to know is, who decides which posts are “the best”? What are the criteria, and who applies them?

A magazine might spark interest in some particular thing, but any child who takes their values from a magazine needs more attentive parents.

If you need 254 looks, what you really need is Lithium.

1 Like

I would feel worse about this if I was aware of a single child, in my life or any of my friends’ lives, who ever reads paper magazines at all…especially this kind.

Not excusing it, just wondering, why does this even exist?

Of course we have a double standard. That is because we have two sexes.

3 Likes

That’s a great question.

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/people/2007/02/it-s-a-wonderful-girls-life

Don’t ask me, I’m just an ignorant redneck.

oh, well this is awkward, i am whtbout2ndbrkfst … hi! I want to say a few things since this is getting so much attention. I never thought anyone would see it when I posted it, but now over 40,000 people have and although a tad overwhelming, I have to say I am excited about people taking a moment to look at gender stereotypes, and to see this spark so much constructive discussion.

The recurring response to this seems to be “one is for the Boy Scouts of America” and the other is a for-profit magazine. That is correct. You can also argue that this makes it a flawed comparison, which I could agree to in some ways. However, the titles (Boy’s Life vs Girl’s Life) lend themselves as a great jumping point for discussion, and the contrast of topics is startling.

Although this particular post does seem to scream from a feminist perspective due to the nature of the offensiveness of “Do you know when to shut up”, I would like to point out, that I think all stereotypes are dangerous. I am offended not as a female, but as a human being. It is equally dangerous to tell girls that they should be worried about fashion and relationships as it is to tell young boys that they must crave adventure and the outdoor lifestyle. Boy’s Life, run by the Boy Scouts or not, should have articles on science, and school, and self-esteem, and public speaking, and future careers, and art, and history, and superheroes, and the importance of family. Girl’s Life should be the same.

Basically, I don’t think we should ever tell children “this is for girls” and “this is for boys”. They should be able to pick based on interest and passion. It might be embarassing for a girl to read “boy’s life” even if she is a Venture Scout and loves all the topics simply because it says it’s “for boys”. A boy may be embarrassed to read “girl’s life” even if he is into fashion and celebrities and social media and romance because it says it’s “for girls”.

Today, bullying is a huge issue for teens and even adults. As people with a voice, it is our responsibility to help our own generation and those after it. We can do that by making conscious decisions with the language we use, and by not putting people in categories based on sex, gender, age, or race - because it’s decidedly painful to be a young adult and realize you don’t fit the “requirements” of what it “means to be a boy” or “means to be a girl” or “means to be a Catholic” or “means to be Hispanic”. or “means to be straight”, or any other demographic you consider yourself a part of.

6 Likes

You’ve copped some pretty serious head kicking, and you don’t seem malicious. But I think there is a nuance to this argument that you are missing.

Clubbing someone to death with a log for trying to steal your food can probably be considered part of human nature, but we’ve moved on.

I am not above racial or gender stereotyping, but I’m above defending it. The key comment from my post that I’d ask you to reflect on (assuming you really want to understand my point of view) is this one:

the civilised thing to do is to train yourself to avoid [stereotypes]

2 Likes

Actually, stereotypes are what happens when people use our cognitive capacity for generalization incorrectly. And most are based primarily on the smug assurance that “we” are better than “them”.

2 Likes

What the hell are you talking about? If someone is clearly unstable, you are not stereotyping them by working out they are unstable.

The stereotype bit comes in when you decide they are unstable because of some other prejudice, without direct evidence of their instability.

You seem to have some fundamental misunderstanding of what we are talking about here.

5 Likes

From the Girl’s Life FAQ:

I HEARD YOU HAVE A SPECIAL EDITION FOR GIRL SCOUTS. EXPLAIN.

GL is the exclusive home of the Studio 2B Mini-Magazine! Each special mini-mag is jam-packed with fun things to do and know. To get it, click here order the Studio 2B Mini-Magazine version.

So apparently there is some sort of relationship between this magazine and Girl Scouts?

I think it’s called “Playboy”

Depends on who you ask.