Harvesting my backyard honey (and your chance to get a jar)

[Permalink]

4 Likes

And if anyone has a copy to sell of ‘My Backyard Honey’ I need it for my blues collection.

2 Likes

your neighbors must hate you

Why? My neighbor had five bee hives, never had a problem.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware the color and flavor of the honey is determined by what plants the bees forage from. So in all likely hood there’s probably just a slightly different mix of plants in their territory. Enough to shift the color but not effect the flavor noticeably.

3 Likes

I’ve always been fascinated by bees and have wanted to have a backyard beehive. Unfortunately I have an extreme allergy and could very likely die in the harvesting process. I guess I’ll leave it to those that will just be irritated or get a bit puffy when stung.

Looks delicious! Every fall I stock up on honey from a beekeeper selling at our local Farmer’s Market. A winter’s worth is around a gallon. Color varies from year to year, but I really prefer the ‘depth’ of flavor of the darker honeys (in the way that adding coffee or molasses deepens the flavor of a bread).

2 Likes

Sweet!

Bloody hell. I’ve adamantly resisted signing up for Twitter, but this is almost too tempting to pass up.

In a way it would make up for the time a couple of people stopped me in the cereal aisle of the grocery store and asked me what I thought of different honey jars. They were a couple starting a local honey business. As is typical for me about thirty seconds after they’d gone I smacked myself on the head for not asking what the name of their business was, and where I could go to buy from them.

Why do you figure? Because of the bees pollinating their fruit trees and vegetable gardens? Because of the gifts of honey? Because he does interesting stuff and enjoys talking about it?

It’s that last part that I hate most in a neighbour, personally - when I get in an interesting chat with a neighbour, and it’s so cool that there’s nothing for it but to grab some beers and sit down for an hour, and the sun is shining, and our kids play together, and. Oh, wait, that’s actually pretty much the perfect afternoon.

7 Likes

Late-season honey is often darker than that made earlier in the year. It will also have a stronger flavour. Goldenrod is one of the last big nectar flow in this area (2 hours East of Toronto). The flavour and aroma are quite strong and the colour ranges from shades of green to brownish. It looks like the comb that it came out of is also former brood-comb. That will often impart some colour to the honey as well. Great stuff!

4 Likes

Thanks for a great post.

5 Likes

My local honey guy has a buckwheat honey that’s nearly black. It’s got a dark flavor, almost molasses. Quite yummy in the right things, especially honey wheat bread. Not really something I add to tea though.

what’s the matter? You don’t like trees?

I want honey!

My in-laws have started up some hives on their pine tree farm. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes for them. My spouse is super afraid of bees though, so I don’t think we will follow suit. But we will make a ton of delicious mead with their honey though.

ive been wanting to set up a hive on the hill behind my house but my wife isnt having it, i want that sweet sweet honey

Have you tried using sprayed water instead of smoke?

If they’re gardeners, they’ll love him for this.

1 Like

You look very professional in that beekeeper suit, Mark. Especially while holding the smoker.

Oh, I see - you must have inside knowledge, e.g. that Mark stole his neighbour’s dog, turned it in to the pound, and broke up the doghouse to make the beehive. Do tell.