I acquired a brimming bag of nettles, and it shall form the basis of my concoctions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/10/14/i-acquired-a-brimming-bag-of-nettles-and-these-shall-form-the-basis-of-my-concoctions.html

7 Likes

Now that’s what I call a post …

7 Likes

Is this what happens when you buy your produce from The Mad Gardener Abdul Alhazred?

6 Likes

By chance would these nettles still have the little spikey bits on them? I have a … um … project.

6 Likes

Funny, just this week my aunt suggested hortica (nettle) tea for my allergies and inflammation. And, I did buy some, but in retrospect, her sales pitch was pretty bland in comparison to this.

11 Likes

Nah, they have to be fresh. Even blanching them immediately destroys the histamines.

5 Likes

Oh well, so much for that plan.

3 Likes

At one point I had harvested the nettles from the lawn to use in beer, but I never got around to it and I haven’t done any homebrewing in recent years for a variety of reasons.

You do see the occasional microbrew made with nettles, though.

3 Likes

An internet post about nettles is incomplete without Salad Fingers

4 Likes

I bet @jlw is starting to regret asking H. G. Lovecraft to cover for Mark this week.

1 Like

J Peterman should license this post and offer the product at twice the going rate.

2 Likes

But don’t these miraculous, yet literally pain in my ass, plants grow well… “like weeds” pretty much all over the world? I live in a pretty dry and hot area of So. Cal. and we’ve got them (often where you don’t expect them), and a friend of mine reports them popping up in her garden in soggy dark England…

I’d bet you could grow them pretty much anywhere.

3 Likes

Yep. I just got some nettle seeds for next spring last week.

2 Likes

I pick stinging nettle in my yard, it is all over the place. I use it to make nettle bread, which is … tasty. Maybe you could rehydrate your nettle and make some:

4 Likes

I hope you had a better experience with this alien dimension prickly herb than I did with my recent Sweet Aztec Herb tea. I’ve been growing the plant for a while, and right on the little spike thing it says 1000 times sweeter than sugar, use to sweeten tea. So, I made tea with a bunch of the leaves and flowers, muddled them up, let steep a while. It was pretty good, pretty sweet. Then, I started getting pretty nauseous. I did some reading, and apparently you’re only supposed to use a little bit, because the leaves contain camphor. I thought I was going to die. But, I didn’t. I really have an urge to build a ziggurat though.

10 Likes

The Tibetan Buddhist guru Milarepa lived on stinging nettle during most of his time spent as a hermit. It was said his skin and hair turned green.

3 Likes

I had a concoction at a festival once based on nettle beer. With shrooms in it. The taste was… weird.

1 Like

ShockedThatJuliabutterfly-size_restricted

1 Like

Nettle tea is delicious & nutritious. Even if you don’t have allergies, it’s full of iron. Also makes a great earthy-tasting soup. Handle with gloves to wash & de-stem the leaves. Once they’re cooked they lose their sting.

2 Likes

The webmd site has some interesting nutritional info on nettle leaf.

1 Like