Have fun skinning garlic cloves with this rubber tube

And skin shallots!

My housemate got one of these and before I found out what it was I thought it was some sort of cannoli forming tool.

Personally, I find this relentless and shameless merchandising wearing very, very thin. I for one am not interest in seeing Markā€™s kitchen draw, which I rather suspect is devoid of 99% of the crap he purports to love. I mean, I know we all have to make a living but Christ the noise to signal ratio is through the roof!

Well, maybe we could combine more than one Markā€™s posts to create a meta post. Say we keep the original post title, ā€œHave fun skinning garlic cloves with this rubber tube,ā€ but link it to this post by Mark:

Can you use a Fleshlight to peel garlic? :-0

(Side note: as discussed in another thread, BB doesnā€™t really care if you specifically buy one of these garlic peelers on amazon, but they do care if you click on the affiliate link (which Mark has inexplicably link shortened). Clicking on the link means that they get a cut of anything and everything you put in your amazon cart in the next 24 hours and buy within 89 days.)

1 Like

Guess I missed that thread, but thanks for the explanation. Itā€™s a shameā€¦but i guess all good things must pass (and come out the other end as a steaming turd). I used to enjoy checking BB daily, but it isnā€™t really worth it anymore. Itā€™s like reading one giant late night infomercial (although at least itā€™s interspersed by interesting bits from Cory). Auf wiener schnitzel, Mark.

Actually, I should say that Mark gets a cut. Each BBer uses their own Amazon Affiliate account ID in their links.

The details of how affiliate marketing work are interesting and highly relevant. BB should do a post on it someday.

1 Like

yes, now that i will be fascinated to read!

Time to add yourself to the list!

3 Likes

Transparency on affiliate links would be appreciated, of course, but I really donā€™t see any problem with BB posting links like this. I read the blog daily and I donā€™t mind if they post advertisey (is it a word?) articles like this one. If it helps the BB and its staff, itā€™s fine by me.

1 Like

or get it for 108ā‚¬ on German Amazon! The most expensive way to peel a garlic clove haha

What I was gonna say. Five [$currency_unit]s for that seems excessive.

Just get them prepeeled. Trust me, most chefs buy them peeled. Huge timesaver and almost just as cheap as buying them whole. Why bother peeling in the first place?

I have an ugly scar on my thumb from trying to smash a clove with the side of a knife. There must be dozens of other tools or objects to accomplish that with less risk.

1 Like

Itā€™s one of those things that makes me think ā€œWell, this is stupidly riskyā€ each time I do it, but still do it anyway. As you point out, I should bash the cloves with something else, so Iā€™ll give that a try next time.

Paulā€™s Iron Law of Garlic: If it says two cloves, it meant to say three. Always round up.

3 Likes

Use a bench scraper.

Iā€™ve never had that problem but then Iā€™m generally in no particular hurry and take time to be careful. The only time Iā€™ve ever injured myself is when I convinced myself to try slicing onions the way the TV chefs say you are supposed to, starting with horizontal cuts. I decided to let them do it the right way and Iā€™ll keep doing it the safe way.

1 Like

Well, you have to remove your hand from under the knife, seeā€¦ :wink:

Like I said in my comment, you can easily use the bottom of a glass to smash without fear.

1 Like

Iā€™m just going to sound like more of a wimp or scold the more I try to point out to yā€™all daredevils that using the flat of the knife seems like high risk with little benefit. So more importantly, does smashing garlic make a huge difference if youā€™re going to mince it anyway? I pretty much gave up smashing it with anything because I didnā€™t notice any difference.

How is using the flat of the knife a high risk? You use a broad blade, not a filleting knife or something, rest it flatwise atop the garlic clove, whap the blade (on the side, not the edge) with the heel of your hand, just hard enough to crack the paper. Youā€™re not looking to crush the garlic.

2 Likes

Ummā€¦ because smashing it helps you remove the skin?

Most people donā€™t have knives sharp enough to safely cut through garlic skin, and not many people like garlic skin (even minced skin) in their food.