This is an interesting way to peel garlic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/17/this-is-an-interesting-way-to.html

4 Likes

I prefer this way.

12 Likes

That’s the same way I get my kids out of bed when they don’t want to get up in the morning…

25 Likes

Hang on: with a knife stuck into them or by vigorously shaking them?

17 Likes

Why not both?!

11 Likes

What? No. I’m not CRUEL…

4 Likes

Yep, seconded. However, I have moved on to using a large ball jar with my finger over the metal lid to silence it. Those bowls are really loud.

4 Likes

i tried this last night and it was a total fail. it removed the clove, paper and all, and then split it vertically in two pieces. i’m going to keep trying – maybe it takes some practice to get the depth of the knife just right – but i’m not swayed just yet.

4 Likes

Might be easier or harder depending how fresh or dry the garlic is.

14 Likes

This is probably the key. Even using the rubber garlic roller or the smack the side of a knife method success varies on the freshnes of the garlic.

The shaking between the bowls method is interesting, but then I’ve got two bowls to wash just for some garlic.

7 Likes

Yeah, most of these methods rely on the garlic being fairly well separated from the husk regardless of technique. Really fresh or farmer’s market hardnecks will still require tedious hand-peeling.

4 Likes

Nice idea, I’ll have to try that.

Oh dang, now I’m gonna die of a garlic overdose.

3 Likes

This is your periodic reminder that there are dozens of flat, heavy objects in your kitchen or home that could crush garlic more safely than crushing it with the flat of the knife. IDGAF how many times you’ve done it without cutting yourself. It’s obviously dumb advice.

1 Like

“Blah! Vurst post ever. Vun star. If I could rate it less, I vould.”

9 Likes

“How to peel 20 cloves in 20 seconds” : length of clip, 2 minutes 14 seconds.

Still, that’s an interesting technique that I’ve never seen before. The idea of plucking them out on the end of a knife is interesting as well. It looks like a pocket knife to me, based on how flat the back of the blade is. It might not work as well with a slimmer knife.

2 Likes

Had to peel gralic for an Italian restaraunt. Basically, you break up the bulbs with a meat hammer and soak the cloves in water for an hour or so. You can peel the cloves fairly quickly after that just using a pairing knife.

1 Like

Oooh! I’ll try this out today.

Worth it if you’re making 40 clove chicken. Or if you follow my rule of “recipe calls for 1 clove of garlic, use 6”.

7 Likes

My link works great for volume. I want to try this method not for lots but for a few. I like the idea of not needing to peel or get the rubber tube out. Definitely a thick bladed knife. It may work with a paring knife. The sideways levering through the sliced skin should work with any thick knife, i will also try it with a small boning knife with the concave contour.

1 Like