This is an interesting way to peel garlic

Metal boardscrapers are great for this. Although occasionally it will propel a clove across the kitchen like a cannonball.

2 Likes

Dumb advice given by seemingly every chef I’ve ever seen. Huh.

3 Likes

Well, that rule is a given…

6 Likes

I cut the end of each bulb with a chef knife, then vigorously roll the sheathed bulb between the palms of my hands. Takes a second or two, but they come right off. If you don’t want the smell on your hands (which comes right off with soap and water, for the record), you can use one of those plasticky-rubber jar gripper things. Works slightly better, and no hand washing required.

1 Like

In 30 years of crushing garlic with a knife, I have never cut myself. Not going to say it can’t happen, but I’m comfortable that the risk is vanishingly small.

OTOH I take the top of my finger off with my mandoline EVERY TIME I USE IT…

6 Likes

Here’s a response video someone posted on Twitter yesterday trying it for themselves.

And Hank Green’s response to that response:

SOFTNECK GARLIC IS TRASH! Every video you’ve ever seen of someone peeling garlic with miraculous ease is people peeling hardneck garlic which is great but they don’t sell it in stores because it’s harder to grow industrially.

2 Likes

recipe: (1) clove garlic

my conversion chart: (1) head garlic

6 Likes

We bought one of those cut-proof gloves for when we use the mandoline.

2 Likes

Good job, you beat me.

Mandolines are an excellent tool for cutting oneself.
FIVE STARS!

This kind anyway.

This kind are much less effective for the job.

Only TWO STARS!

https://memegenerator.net/instance/75744897/crazyrussianhacker-guys-with-glasses-like-these-have-a-110-chance-of-having-safety-1-priority

1 Like

you can even use your hand. Though if you have a lot to do it is probably worth finding something.

And I’d think you lose a lot of the flavor because you’ve soaked all the oil out.

I like to give the clove a light smash with the flat side of the knife, cut the end off and the skin just comes right off.

Same here. What is this a race? :grin:

1 Like

I already eat so much garlic I tend to carry an slight aroma around with me, I don’t need to be shown an easier way to eat more.

3 Likes

I believe fenugreek will do that, as well. I bought a frozen methi entree and, though it was quite tasty, the aroma seemed to follow me around the next day (actually I was emitting it).

I usually spend the next 24 hours sniffing my garlicky fingers…

1 Like

Fingers?

I feel bad for the people at the gym on the machines next to me, it oozes out of my sweat, I have to remember to give myself a coating of deodorant beforehand just out of politeness.

1 Like