Hell on Earth: how to imprison a person for 1,000 years

[Permalink]

In its belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a thousand years.

21 Likes

This might be a good idea if punishing criminals actually did any good. Which it doesnā€™t, as can be seen from the recidivism rates. How about a drug to lift entire communities out of poverty and ignorance?

42 Likes

What about an eternal prison sentence, in other words, a Hell on Earth? Who would deserve such a sentence?

Walder Frey. Seriously, fuck that guy.

14 Likes

What about an eternal prison sentence, in other words, a Hell on Earth?

Infinite punishment for finite crime? Sounds immoral to me.

22 Likes

I donā€™t think recidivism rates matter if you can sentence someone to infinity.

8 Likes

DS9 was there first.

7 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I saw an Outer Limits episode with David Hyde Pierce with that exact premise. It was horrifically depressing.

3 Likes

With the near limitless utopian possibilities of virtual simulations, itā€™s stuff like this presented as a good idea that makes me want to blow up computers. This has to be the most extreme example of Benthamite small mindedness Iā€™ve ever seen, where every technology is judged on itā€™s ā€œutilityā€ to exercise social control.

15 Likes

Am I the only one who thought of this?:

6 Likes

Hey, hereā€™s a bright idea:

If you can simulate 1,000 years of hell for bad people, it should be easy to feed in 12 years of memories a happy, enriched childhood to kids so they donā€™t end up as monsters in the first place.

56 Likes

Iā€™ve never really understood how this was supposed to work. Does the Sarlaac magically keep the contents of its stomach alive? Even ignoring how, wouldnā€™t the energy required to do so outweigh the energy it could extract from the victims?

9 Likes

ā€œIn the US, for instance, the vast majority of people on death row appeal to have their sentences reduced to life imprisonment. That suggests that a quick stint in prison followed by death is seen as a worse fate than a long prison sentence.ā€

It really does not surprise me that someone with reasoning this poor ended up as an evil philosopher.

12 Likes

I think that was a case of Lucas not thinking things through. Imagine that.

14 Likes

I could see that being the kind of supercrime that would justify an eternal sentence.

In actual application - ā€˜anyone who I dislike or disagrees with my great policy ideas.ā€™

12 Likes

Right. As if solitary confinement werenā€™t already damaging enough.

2 Likes

Incarcerated Ground Hog Day?

2 Likes

Christ. Just think, someone is paying this ninny a salary. Maybe I committed some crime, and Iā€™m currently on drugs that have made me forget it, but believe that I live in a world were such simple-minded drivel receives news coverage. It must have been a pretty heinous crime.

13 Likes

ā€˜ā€˜The G-23 Paxilon Hydrochlorate that we added to the air processors. It was supposed to calm the population, weed out aggression. Well, it works. The people here stopped fighting. And then they stopped everything else. They stopped going to work, they stopped breeding, talking, eating. Thereā€™s 30 million people here, and they all just let themselves die.ā€™ā€™

13 Likes

Double Infinity plus 10, to run consecutively!

1 Like