Hey, kids, let's play militarized police force!

Well possibly because I have actually seen the executioner set on the shelves in a toy shop. Happy smiling prisoner bent over on the chopping block and all. I wish I could find a proper box picture.

Need to be hacked with little sound chips that just repeat “stop resisting, stop resisting”

3 Likes

I guess I’ve become sort of the official playmobil-weirdness defender over here after the discussion of some previous outrages.

Let me say this, aimed not at you but at the vaguely defined imaginary outraged “won’t you think of the children”-er: if you think it’s not appropriate for your children to play with toys themed after crime/police/hunting/religion/racial or gender stereotypes/nuclear power/pirating or whatever it is that ruffles your feathers, good news: you’re the one, as a parent, who gets to educate your child as you see fit. Stop expecting the damn toys to do the educating for you.

Playmobil has always made toys mirroring the parts of our own culture they think boys and girls might already be interested in enough to want to play with, including “bad guys” and even some stuff that some might find exciting and others distasteful. Are those themes verboten to you and yours? Channel the outrage into forbidding them in your household, leaving them for the children of less virtuous parents to consider as they see fit, and everyone is happy.

I prefer that arrangement to the blanket, overwhelming political correctedness that pervades the era, but feel free to disagree.

(It just occurred to me, too late, that I could just link to what I said exactly one year ago and save myself the trouble, since it’s the same counter to the same reaction, all over again.)

2 Likes

Nah I agree with ya. I think they have great stuff. Heck I think an operating room is an amazing idea for a toy set really. Even the executioner set was fine but it was just weird with the HI I AM HAPPY AS CAN BE TO HAVE MY HEAD CHOPPED OFF smile on the prisoner. Kids get interested in all kinds of things that rarely translate into what they really want to do in real life, or what they do when they grow up.

2 Likes

Saturn, the toy manufacturer from Jodorowsky’s The Holy Mountain (1973):

2 Likes

You’ll need it to play “Wolf Hall”.

(actual playmobil “hooligan” figurine, from a couple years back.

3 Likes

Well, parents of 7 year olds were mostly kids when we normalized endless war over here in the US.

1 Like

As Bill Hicks said…“I would hate to be a dustbin in Shafsbry tonight.”

2 Likes

ATtiny chip, SPI flash with the sound, piezo transducer driven with PWM, CR2032 coin cell (possibly even a smaller one). One timer that calls interrupt for reading sample and setting PWM, one GPIO for triggering the output.

For bonus points, ATmega32u4, microUSB, small Li-ion cell, more GPIOs for more samples, and ability to upload your own sound to the flash.

For more bonus points, infrared communication between different figures/objects for self-organized or preprogrammed behavior.

Edit: Also, a possibility of adding a wearable cop-cam for recording or realtime-streaming the point-of-view action. A little camera module of the front-facing cellphone kind is less than a quarter-inch sided cube, some such chips have on-chip JPEG compression, and if they can be read out via SPI, they could be directly coupled with e.g. ESP8266 for low-framerate MJPEG streaming. (More likely we’ll need to read the data out via the parallel interface and use a microcontroller to shove them into the serial port of the ESP…)

1 Like

I’m saving that for the “militarized police” Furby set.

2 Likes

Dead on,

Maybe we should call you ShaddackClause, since you seem so interested in making toys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

EVERYTHING is a toy! :smiley:
(I learned this from cats.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.