How to buy secret cookies baked by cloistered Spanish nuns

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Well they aren’t very secret any more, are they, Mister Big Mouth? Or fingers. Big fingers.You think you can throw us off the scent of delicious cookies just by labeling a sign “arrow to the left” when it plainly points to the right?

13 Likes

More tales from this trip, please.

5 Likes

I hope you went to Chocolateria San Gines near Plaza Mayor in Madrid. Great churros and the most intense hot chocolate I’ve ever encountered.

2 Likes

My friends old house had similar hatch in the wall beside the kitchen door. It was so the ice man could deliver his block of ice without coming inside.

2 Likes

Now I’m looking at the package of store bought sugar monstrosities sitting on my desk and longing for another, much more platonic cookie.

3 Likes

Okay, you got me. I was hoping my poor photography would confuse only but the most astute readers. Clearly, I failed. I also seem to have gotten my arrows confused … sorry about that.

1 Like

Thanks! They’re coming up, stay tuned …

3 Likes

Yes, indeed! They were the best chocolate y churros we had in España.

Anyone who’s read “The Book of Human Skin” will know that the nuns on the other side are most likely horrifically scarred anorexic psychotics.

2 Likes

This sounds amazing! Hope you’re having a fantastic time on your world tour!

1 Like

Qué tienes?

Seriously? You address not just a stranger but a nun with the informal conjugation?

5 Likes

They sound a lot more tasty than hosties rondes.

there’s a feeling you get when contacting cloistered nuns to buy cookies that makes you wary of irritating the nuns.

This sounds like an entry from The Meaning of Liff.

2 Likes

Good book? The Amazoners seem suitably impressed.

Also similar things existed for milk delivery, back in the day.

1 Like

I know, I know. I was nervous, panicked, and failed. I still feel the guilt.

4 Likes

well… convents sewwts may sound quite mysterious to the american people, but here in Spain is quite usual to buy them if yo happen to be near. We have bougth them in Santillana del Mar (Cantabria), and for the last years ther’s either a christmas gourmet fair in two cities where you can buy products from many convents http://www.expoclausura.es/. And of course, online for the non-travellers!. This is a nice way of funding for these communities.

4 Likes

Looks worthy of a read; I’ll check it out. The one nun we saw in Granada was quite cherubic. We only saw her face though.

That’s true also. Everyone used to have the galvanized milk box on their porches, and how many kids would even know what they are? This is also where Henry Hill’s GF hides his revolver after he pistol whips the neighbor in Goodfellows.

3 Likes

I went here in 2012! It was great, but I couldn’t find the entrance and eventually this little Gypsy lady took me through the place and helped me buy the cookies (I speak no Spanish). It was one of my favorite parts of my trip.

5 Likes