How to make insects appetizing to Americans

Assuming it’s the same flour used in the Exo protein bars, they’re slow roasted and then milled.

3 Likes

honestly curious, what is a vegetarian’s reason for not eating insects? (your reason, anyway, I realize every vegetarian is different)

1 Like

I would find ‘Soy Juice’ more misleading than Milk. In fact the term Milk is correctly used to refer to anything resembling mammal milk, especially when it has similar uses.

1 Like

I’d like to try it. I used to have an aversion to the idea of eating raw fish. It took a long time for me to try sushi, but when I did, I got past my aversion pretty quickly, because HELLO DELICIOUS. And the less the final product looks like a bug the more likely I’d be to try it initially. Jury’s still out on whether I could get past the idea of popping a whole roasted cricket in my mouth, though. (That said, honeypot ants look kind of delicious.)

2 Likes

It’s what Ian Rush eats, and he says if you don’t eat lots of bugs you won’t be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!

1 Like

E.g. “milk of magnesia”

2 Likes

Because the realization that it is purely cultural programming might make it easier to think rational about it.

Because, in the long run, people will have to address their meat consumption, because it’s very likely not sustainable in the long run.

Meat, especially beef, will become a quite expensive once all the other middle classes of the world will have caught up. And American ranchers will quite happily sell to Chinese and Eastern Europeans at higher prices than the working poor in the USA can afford.

5 Likes

[quote=“rexdude, post:36, topic:29930, full:true”]
I’m Indian and a vegetarian from birth, with access to the richest vegetarian cuisine in the world, so YES, that shrimp grosses me out as do anything other than plants where food is concerned![/quote]
You, sir, get a pass. I can respect vegetarians and your position is ethically consistent. The people I don’t get are the ones who say that this chitinous, compound-eyed, many-legged bug is disgusting but that one is good eatin’.

I genuinely have no idea what your point is. Can you explain? We’re talking about crickets, not cockroaches.

3 Likes

It would make more sense to harvest and eat crop pests than to spray the crops with poison, as we do now.

After a couple of Boy Scout and/or military wilderness survival courses eating bugs is no big deal.

2 Likes

Also, God hates shrimp.

2 Likes

You’re not the only one. I remember this comment - it stuck out to me at the time I had been hearing “EAT BUGS” everywhere, and here it is again. I’m sure baader-meinhof is to blame.

OR IS IT

I’ve also been hearing enough terrible economic news that if it came to pass would leave many eating bugs. Get in on the “ground floor”, literally. There’s profit in no choice, and the cost of opinion-shifting stories, articles & positive comments is infinitesimal to the money that could be made in feeding a population.

In all honesty, no. I’m not a fan of shrimp–a few pieces here and there, if they’re grilled or deep-fried (cocktail shrimp can take a hike). Usually they’re an incidental part of whatever I’m ordering, not the main dish. The only seafood that I really enjoy in quantity is fish. Clams, oysters, scallops, crab, lobster–none of them really appeal to me.

Okay, an explanation of the humor I intended:

you provided a picture of a ginormous shrimp or prawn or something and asked “How is this less gross than a cricket?” and I made a joke about the windshield squeegie stations commonly found at a self serve gas stations. most of them (windshield squeegie stations) are filled with water including but not limited to squished and dead grasshoppers, crickets, palmetto bugs, love bugs, flies, dragonflies etc (and some bird poop, which is where my joke fails a bit.) i.e. if a cricket is no less edible or gross than a shrimp/prawn, then a windshield-washing station is essentially bug stew. dig in! ha ha. a joke. whew.

Now, in answer to your question “How is (eating) this (shrimp? prawn?) less gross than a cricket?” well i’m not a biologist, but my “off the top of my head” answer is that although crickets and shrimp are similar, they are not the same. the basic online search i’ve come up with is that shrimp have solid abdomenal muscles, which is that delicious white shrimpy goodness that eaters of shrimp cook and eat (usually after de-veining and shelling said shrimp/prawn/whatever.) With shrimp, there’s a solid in there (the muscle). With crickets, well, if you try to shell and de-vein (ha!) a cricket, living or dead, I’m betting all you’ll be left with is some goo. Bug guts. Which is, in my experience greenish/yellow and not very appetizing. Bug guts, being liquidy, aren’t very appealing. Shrimp abdomenal muscle, on the other hand, is something most of us can relate to, eating-wise: it’s solid. Human beings often eat the muscles (abdomenal, leg, neck, shoulder, haunch or whatever applies) of cows, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, deer, moose, fish, reptile, crustaceans etc. So there’s a similarity between cow and shrimp that isn’t there between cow and cricket (or cow and any insect, really.)

If one were to slaughter and butcher a cow and be left with, not meat/muscle, but nothing but a thousand pounds or so pool of gooey, liquidy slurry, I don’t think many of us would be as into hamburger.

5 Likes

Tell people that they:

a. help you lose weight
b. cure erectile dysfunction

4 Likes

First sentence in the article:

“Cricket flour is made from slow roasted milled crickets,…”

1 Like

I only want artisanal slow roasted milled crickets, OK?

5 Likes

And yet, some locusts are kosher: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_locust

I really don’t want Monsanto or Exxon to come out with some weird GMO-oil product that resembles milk and allow them to use the word milk in their product.

@chuckmonkey2010 Depends on how good of an ice cream it makes. :wink: (although, i guess ironically, ice cream I think is more strictly defined)

Thank you! I always find it funny that people say “you won’t eat bugs, but you’ll eat shrimp!?” as if just because they’re technically related, that they’re the same. Let’s stop feigning ignorance on how different they are.

1 Like