How to make insects appetizing to Americans

You could probably get kids to eat them if you put them in a McDonalds carton.

Crunchy frog:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll eat ants, crickets, termites and grubs before Iā€™ll eat anything that gets picked up from the bottom of the ocean.

Shrimp and lobsters are to the ocean what cockroaches, rats and crows are to the land. Iā€™ll eat nice, clean, bugs that live in the soil before Iā€™d eat the things that live off human refuse.

Ranger: Insects are alive, and seem to want to stay that way, and eating them makes them dead. Plants donā€™t care, and donā€™t have a nervous system to care with.

Rexdude, Iā€™m curious, do you eat/drink milk products? Most Indian religious groups I know about do, though many donā€™t eat eggs. (Iā€™m ok with both, though I almost always get cage-free eggs.) Neither one are plants, but I think even the Jains use milk.

ChickieD - The Jewish G-d may hate shrimp, but apparently Allahā€™s mostly ok with it (your imam may vary.) I think there are some sea animals that orthodox Muslims donā€™t eat, but most of them consider shrimp to be halal, so for instance youā€™ll find it in halal Chinese restaurants (at least the ones from coastal areas.)

1 Like

They are significantly less icky than other meat sources, though. A cricket is certainly less smelly, poopy, snotty, and drippy than most livestock. Iā€™d certainly rather be in the same room with a cricket than a cow.

1 Like

Oh, no, an aquarium full of crickets smells like you would not believe. If you go into a room where somebodyā€™s raising large numbers of them to feed herps itā€™ll make your eyes water, the penetrating stench is far more objectionable than an equal quantity of ruminant waste.

Of course due to relative volume, itā€™s a lot easier to handle cricket frass than cow flops, so itā€™s easier to make cricket raising less ā€œickyā€, and youā€™ve still got a point there.

I donā€™t think people had good aquariums and reliable salamanders (broilers) before 1740, or even a keen eye for healthy specimens (foodie empathy?) for the most part. Looking in Consider The Lobster or one David Foster Wallace Anthology with it, Both Flesh And Not? Everything else is just deciding whether Maine is closer than certain boundaries of Israel, e.g. the living room carpet, lunching at 11 before the carts run out, etc. Then thereā€™s whether or not to call mayonnaise ā€˜death sauceā€™ cf. Phil Agre. Arthropods v. Insectsā€¦are they coroutines or something?

Oh, come and have some sashimi of Pacific Coblock Polymer Fairy Shrimp, a wonderful new megafauna discovered eating boatloads of Skechers, harvested at its happiest. If you eat magic fruit before, it works you like a round of general chemotherapy, though.

Subtle and deft handling of class-action suits where humans, pets, bush animals, or farmed animals and their loved ones ate the flour and later got ghost moth/screaming cockroach behaviors and body parts matters at some level, just as growing extra mouthparts to harbor mites that test your food for you matter. (Protip: license Sally Field to actors who take the victims out to get some vindaloo to set them right.)

On the other hand cricket crisp avoidance is homeopathy working well; we know how to raise healthy animals (bunnies! not bats so much) for harvest, but not so much crickets or starfish (is it goop? Not sashimi grade!) or ā€¦brachiae? What?

Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™m honestly having a very difficult time parsing the meaning of your post. I think it might be a joke thatā€™s fallen flat because Iā€™m stupid.

Lord knows, Iā€™ve been in some bait shops in my time, and you are not kidding.

But if you go into a manure pond, it can kill you (and your rescuers) before you can say ā€œdamn, whatā€™s that smell?ā€ Because it paralyzes your olfactory nerves, and then your lungs.

1 Like

Hmmm, just who might be squeamish about eating bugs?

Bloody insectoid invadersā€¦
However, I suppose that the overly enthusiastic insect cuisine folks just might be reptiliansā€¦ Then there are those aliens that like to cut up cows, so meat eaters probably arenā€™t to be trusted either. Vegans are likely fully illuminated peaceful aliens, so perhaps I can trust them? But vegans donā€™t eat bacon, so can I really trust somebody who doesnā€™t like bacon? I guess that I will just have to settle for fellow baco-vegetarians. But baco-vegetarians might be like me, and I know that I am a shifty mo-foā€¦ I guess that I will just retreat to my cave now.

Okay, ya got meā€¦

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.