If you're allergic to seafood, do not eat cicadas. If you're not, here are recipes.

Originally published at: If you're allergic to seafood, do not eat cicadas. If you're not, here are recipes. | Boing Boing

5 Likes

i was just getting around to MAYBE considering things like ants, grasshoppers, and crickets if they were made into a flour, but this whole cicada thing is putting me right off the whole notion. have you ever seen one in person? they are HUGE. there is no way i’d be able to put a whole one in my mouth, shudder

2 Likes

Look at the size of it!

12 Likes

that looks like a small one, lol.

7 Likes

Just an observation… when they die ants won’t touch them.

Slugs will.

1 Like

Bug Sushi, you heard it here first.

4 Likes

Anybody tried these? I’m trying to psych myself up to fry up a batch!

3 Likes

Are you allergic to shellfish? If so, don’t do it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m slowly trying to convince myself that bugs are food, but I’m not quite there yet. I certainly wasn’t when Brood II emerged here in 2013. I did, however keep a carcass, one of their shells and a trimming of a stick they had, um… oviposited(?) into. Unfortunately, it lost most of its color over time, but they were gorgeous with iridescent silvery blue wings and rust orange highlights around the face. No wonder they’re called magicicada.

4 Likes

I had a Bug Pizza, they told me the next day, I hold a grudge.

10 Likes

You couldn’t tell?

3 Likes

I was drunk & high, maybe something else clouded my judgement as well, like being a starving Marvin.

6 Likes

Probably need a narrower f stop.

5 Likes

I hardly recognized ya.

6 Likes

I’m hoping to consume my bug protein in homogenized powdered form

3 Likes

I’ve had cricket flour, and grasshopper flour. Neither are all that similar to flour, at least if what you want is to make cookies. Coffee flour however has worked well for me.

I haven’t eaten cicadas, but my dogs have. In fact if I wanted cicadas it might be difficult to get any what with my dogs attempting to scoop up as much as they can. Well it would also be difficult because they look like disgusting bugs with huge bug eyes. Well that and having left VA for CA last time the cicadas were out (like literally, they were swarming as I was loading a moving van…).

I’m sure I could give them a shot if I skipped a few meals. Like maybe two or four. Nothing like hunger to get over a bit of squeamishness.

3 Likes

If you’re looking to try some bug-based food I’ve had these cricket chips a few times and I’m a fan! Cricket flour is certainly different than regular flour, but you can make some good tasting stuff with it. Plus, protein! I’d eat it all the time if it wasn’t so expensive.

4 Likes

Love the graphics!

“Eat what bugs you.”

6 Likes

So how sustainable would a cicada harvest really be? Yes, there are so many of them, but can the cicadan reproductive strategy really survive industrial harvesting?

2 Likes

We’ll all be there soon, brother!