HOWTO wash your hair in space

This is exactly the same routine Glen Plake goes through when he first gets up in the morning.

Er…technically it probably isn’t. I mean if the powers that be that control the ISS said, nope no hair, then she’d be bald. I imagine it is the same as in the military (at least as far as doing what you are told goes).

That’s my initial reaction too: they train for years so it’s not like they don’t know it’s coming up; just cut your hair short for the trip and know that you can grow it back out when you return to Earth. But women are raised to be very self-conscious about their looks, and women in STEM careers are bullied about being women, so I can understand wanting to look like a girl. Besides, she might have a partner who really likes her long hair. Or she may know that she looks horrible with short hair, so the year or more it would take to grow out really would be somewhat difficult to endure.

1 Like

I wish I could write them out of my tax dollars.

Users of the F-22 Raptor died? I guess that is expensive in the cost of human life. Wow, so many ppl liked you comment.

If they train for years, maybe they know it’s not an issue to have long hair?

But unless random internet users are the people in charge of the ISS…yeah, I’m still thinking whoever is making these decisions knows more about it than we do, and don’t have a problem with it. At which point it is up to her.

I actually did LOL at that. Do you have any experience with long hair? Combing out the tangles, cleaning up after it, pulling it out of drains or off of clothing, keeping it neat and pinned back so it doesn’t interfere with whatever physical activity you might be doing? If nothing else, just washing and drying it is significantly more work than short hair. Just because the theory of gravity doesn’t hold in space doesn’t mean the rest of physics goes out the window too.

Yes. Two.

One of those deaths was directly attributable to a faulty oxygen system. Or, as the official Air Force repot put it, Jeff Haney suffered a “sense similar to suffocation”

There have been at least a 1/2 dozen incidents, thankfully not fatal, that appeared to be associated with pilot hypoxia. Beyond that, “Raptor Lung” is a known physiological issue for Raptor pilots because something is causing their alveoli to collapse.

Yes. I’ve never had my hair shorter than just below my shoulders. It’s usually been much longer. And if you’re used to taking care of it, adding IN SPACE might not make that big of a difference to you, and if it won’t affect the mission, what’s the problem?

I didn’t say it was a problem. In fact, if you read my first post, I supported her choice to have long hair on the mission. I’m just saying that it’s not likely to be the easier choice.

To my knowledge, none of the life-threatening equipment failures in space to date were caused by those silly lady astronauts and their follicles of death.

1 Like

Who said anything about “boo?” I meant that her hair in that photo looks like that of a troll doll’s, which it does. I certainly wasn’t calling her a troll or disparaging her looks. And of course it’s her choice, as NASA appears to be okay with it.

But a totally reasonable response to “look what an enormous hassle it is to wash long hair in space” is “so don’t have long hair in space.”

I like Luca’s video better. Especially how that water sticks to his head. :smile:

He used less water, fewer towels, and he didn’t need shampoo. If Karen had shaved her head, they wouldn’t have needed to carry up all those stuff. You know how expensive it is to carry things up into orbit.

And yes, snowmentality (post #3 on top), I agree that everybody down here on earth should shave their heads bald as well. I’ll do that right now … oh wait … already done that … :slight_smile:

OTOH, Luca is probably heavier than Karen, ate more, and drank more.

Ideally, the ISS should be crewed entirely by bald, naked, midgets …

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.