Huffing Boing Boing

Nope, we’re not saying the same thing because @waetherman suggested Monday as the day for announcing both the Thursday and Friday winners. It gives the people announcing winners one day off during the week on Tuesday, and that’s only fair.

Since he’s suggesting announcing the winner at 9 AM (EST), I had to open voting and posting on the weekend. My original schedule was closed for that, because the game originally was scheduled just during the week. Here’s what his announcement schedule looks like.

• Monday Announce Thursday and Friday winners
• Tuesday No announcements
• Wednesday Announce Monday winner
• Thursday Announce Tuesday winner
• Friday Announce Wednesday winner
• Weekend No announcements (or possible Thursday announcement)

I think the more important thing than announcing winners is closing posting at a known time, because that’s more likely to confuse us as a group. Only one person will be controlling when they do the count and make an announcement.

People already will be playing differently based on what they have or haven’t read. No one really will have the same “new” topics on any day. The rules don’t require that people organize their “new” topics by “Activity” time with a cutoff point or anything, and to do that’s a bit stringent, don’t you think? Since each person can only post and vote once, I don’t think weekend access is a huge deal.

I missed the part about announcing. It wouldn’t make a difference to the players if 2 day’s worth of winners are announced on the same day, so we are in agreement there. Ditto for closing voting at scheduled times. That is something we are both in agreement on.

Aside from everyone getting a chance to vote on all entries from a day, I was trying to come up with a way that voting over the weekend was not necessary but still possible, so it is still a Monday to Friday game for those who wish but you’re free to post on the weekend or vote on Friday’s entries over the weekend if you wish.

The rest of my suggestion pretty much follows the original format that waetherman proposed in the beginning so I don’t understand where it is overly stringent.

My original format had already accounted for contributing over the weekend if you chose - it’s all considered a part of Friday. I didn’t say you were being overly stringent. I said that cutting off by Activity time of topic would be. :slight_smile:

The right person to figure announcements is @waetherman - because that’s who’s doing them. I didn’t want to step on the toes of the person who was already GMing the game. So I suggest we leave that up to him. It sounded from his post like he might want an extra day off from running the game - it is a commitment.

Right about the announcements. It’s up to waetherman, though it also sounded like he was open to sharing the duties with others from his previous post.

As I said earlier, I think we may be more in agreement than not. It seems like I was lumping weekends with Monday for posting , and from what you are saying I gather you were lumping them in with Friday. I just didn’t read that from " Weekend Post and vote anytime Fri. through Mon. AM posting close" as it was unclear if the voting and posting were about the same time period. I tried to get more concise in my explanation to clarify.

Seems we’re talking past each other and flogging a dead horse as it were, so I’m going to drop it for the evening.

1 Like

hed 1
hed 2

3 Likes

Rand Paul flees mid-human

4 Likes

I liked that episode of V!

1 Like

Rand Paul insults Michigan, flees Burger King just before awesome Steve West party

1 Like

Rand Paul walking upright like a human

Rand Paul flees mid-burger just before Steve King goes ape over monkey photo decision

2 Likes

You know what would make this all easier; polls. Any way we could embed a poll here? otherwise I think it’s hard to come to a vote at the right time with just likes…

2 Likes

I agree! Sorry, don’t know how. Will look around, tho’.

Edit: Found this meta topic that tells ya how to do it. It looks like polls need to be their own topic in Discourse. I’ll try it inline here j.i.c. - writing another reply.

No go. Looks like it won’t work unless as a new post.

How the world may end: Watermelon vendor turf war

2 Likes

Cool. Keeping likes and actual voting separate would be great.

1 Like

While not strictly a headline mashup, I got a good chuckle out of this.

First US hospital to treat American Ebola victims: Everyone shows up for work drunk, without pants

4 Likes

1984 Sesame Street segment: “I am a god”

2 Likes

[Alleged python thief crashes] 1 the damn Internet

Test (Informal test to see if polling can be inserted) “Some sort of announcement that posting for Wednesday has closed.” “Some sort of announcement that a poll for Wednesday 8/6 will follow.”

[Retroactively added poll link][1] (Closed)
[1]: Closed Poll: Wednesday 8/6 headlines

1 Like

Nicely played - dropped a vote in on it. :slight_smile: