Humana screws Brandon Boyer for $100K worth of cancer bills - help him pay them

It seems there are two issues: Pre-existing conditions and Bill the predate coverage. The article was not clear on those two things were are separate issues. He may have been fortunate not to have been covered by ObamaCare at the time of his diagnosis, depending on where he sought care. I was stunned to learn that in our market, neither of the two ObamaCare offerings covered care at the advanced cancer hospital which is where most complex cancers are treated here. Both plans only cover care at local hospitals which do not have the same level of resources that are available at the University-based cancer center which is staffed by the medical school faculty. My wife has had two cancers over the past four years and was diagnosed at a local hospital which said it was inoperable and sent her home to write her will. We sought a second opinion at the medical school and found it was operable and the treatment suggested at the local hospital was totally wrong. We still get insurance from my former employer (we are in our 60’s but not eligible yet for Medicare). We live in abject fear that the company will dump us into the ObamaCare exchanges which will not allow her to get the care she needs. The coverage isn’t available at any price. If you have private insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, you are covered for the top hospitals. If you are on the exchanges, you can only get care at what they call “narrow networks.” We have a system of “haves” and “can’t gets.”

1 Like