If you read Boing Boing, the NSA considers you a target for deep surveillance

Go retro. Dress like someone from the Red Army Faction.

4 Likes

So? The NSA donā€™t know what youā€™re looking for when you come to Boing Boing.

Not until you actually wrote down burqa, no need to hit reply BTW.

2 Likes

I only come here for research!

2 Likes

Its all in how you define search.
Seriously, as BB is known to post this type of information on a ā€œregularā€ basis (once a year every year should be enough to define as regular), intentionally browsing to BB should be enough to label you as someone who at the very least has access to this type of information.

Now you actually posted here, and are now speaking with people who probably have typed ā€œtailsā€ into a search engine.

2 Likes

Meh, I hang around 4Chan from time to time. Boing Boing has a long way to go before it becomes part of the seedy under belly of the Internet.

4 Likes

Whereā€™s a picture of Neil De Grasse Tyson when you need one! :wink:

1 Like

For years my email signature had a long list of what I thought might be search trigger words, along with a request for anyone reading via ECHELON to say hi.

They never did.

7 Likes

Months ago, I was in a bit of a panic. My employer was taking on a contract to do IT support for some US federal government agencies, and requested that those of us who were US citizens go through a security screening and background check. I was worried that Iā€™d be losing my job, at least. In retrospect, this was a bit silly; they probably just checked for a criminal record, at most. But, my immediate reaction was to stop posting political comments and cut back sharply on visiting forums where politics was frequently discussed ā€“ e.g., Boing Boing.

Of course, nothing came of the security screening.

I think the real threat from mass surveillance is not actual direct political persecution, but an instilled anxiety in which we avoid political expression and organization.

28 Likes

So what if, while browsing the internet using TOR, I find a story on boingboing that leads me to a youtube video of jacob applebaum giving a talk at a hacker conference about how the NSA is tracking us all? Or maybe a story on boingboing about a video of how TOR can protect people from being chopped up and sent in a box as a warning against dissent?

Will this create a giant vortex?

Also, what about all the people we communicate with, and all the people they communicate with? The NSA claims that it has the authority to go ā€œthree hopsā€ away, or at least two, from anyone selected as a target.

You fools with the skillz who moved to Utah, this is how you want to spend your one and only life? Building the panopticon?

4 Likes

This.

6 Likes

I wonder if they have figured out that a @doctorow banana post is a signal that activates the next mutant and that the next call for a unicorn chaser is the signal for the activated mutant to carry out their mission?

fnord

21 Likes

Well, Iā€™m glad he posted it. The screenshot of code includes the Linux Journal website being tracked for surveillance, as well. Since Iā€™ve written articles for the Linux Journal website, I think that this information is relevant and important. I donā€™t consider myself a terrorist threat simply because I like open source software, and I donā€™t appreciate that this puts me on some sort of ā€œpermanent digital surveillanceā€ program without any discernible oversight or due process.

4 Likes

Mehā€¦ I had a project like that and passed. Boingboing also isnā€™t filtered (or else I wouldnā€™t be able to post this).

waves to the NSA

I hope I have fans! Also, just because I say I hate it here doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m a terrorist or something. I just want to move, thatā€™s all.

This idea is not new and one of the reasons why many european nations e.g. Germany see privacy as an important civil right. US americans are constantly blathering about free speech - but what most of them donā€™t get is that there is no free speech with mass surveillance.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBodies/HRCouncil/RegularSession/Session23/A.HRC.23.40_EN.pdf

Hilariously hypocritical of the US (NSA), self declared defenders of freedom an liberty, to attack/undermine TOR - originally funded to further free speech and democracy in repressive countries.

11 Likes
10 Likes

If you listen to Senator McCarthy, there are Reds at every level of every government entity. Thus, that the Navy develops a tool to specifically designed to aid the world communist movement is no surprise.

4 Likes

I always figured the reverse was true. Whatever website I visited would get deep NSA scrutiny. Hi guys/gals!

3 Likes

Flood their pipe. Everything is about terrorist truck bomb exploding victim infidels

1 Like

Dammit, I knew my hobby of creating fursuits would catch up with me. I just used Google for suggestions on making great looking fox tails!

2 Likes