If you read Boing Boing, the NSA considers you a target for deep surveillance

I sometimes wonder exactly that.

10 Likes

‘Tor’ in German means goal (as in soccer). - So with the world-cup going on and everybody writing about which country had how many goals in Germany the whole country is now under surveillance, right?

7 Likes

Since you follow me everywhere, perhaps you should involve yourselves in
the blatant corruption going on at the lower levels of government.

Lol, what makes you think they’re not? :smile:

Surely the people searching for online articles about Tails or Tor make up only a relatively small subset of BoingBoing readers.

You’re kidding, right? :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed. If you have been reading this site and haven’t done a search for at least Tor then you are a fool.

3 Likes

Since you follow me everywhere, perhaps you should involve yourselves in
the blatant corruption going on at the lower levels of government.

Lol, what makes you think they’re not?

And, taking notes to further enhance their own corruption. And, let’s not forget… extortion.

2 Likes

It already was, anyway.

2 Likes

Lol, have to define “target” first. :slight_smile: A better question would be “how many communiques are intercepted every day”. All of the senders/recipients have potential to be “targets” someday… Consider how many politicians have embarrassing collections of private text messages, emails, call records etc exposed every year! Pretty broad show of the hand right there…

I was wondering about that… the links Cory provides specifically mention TOR and TAILS, not just BB readers.

However, since they seem to like casting wide nets, and since these are topics of articles and discussion on the board, I don’t think it’s a huge leap to say that the whole board is a target. It’s probably easier for them that way, rather than having to differentiate those of us who come for talk on TOR and those of us who come for the bananas and friday jams…

1 Like

Bwhahahahahahahahaha… hahahahahahaha… Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s what he’s arguing, though?

This is where the definition of “target” becomes problematic. Three degrees is hundreds of thousands of people, I guarantee at least one of them does/knows something suspicious which lets it daisy-chain to six degrees (or infinite degrees) pretty much instantaneously - collection basis is the entire world.

3 Likes

Step 1: Build surveillance system.
Step 2: Reassure Congress that you only use it to watch a fraction of the population deemed “suspicious”.
Step 3: Allow a contractor to leak details of your activities.
Step 4: Define as “suspicious” anyone who is inspired by media coverage to read up on surveillance- and privacy-related topics.
Step 5: Add those people to your watchlist.
Step 6: Repeat steps 2-5 until rate of new additions falls below minimum threshold.
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Profit!!!

5 Likes

So many terrorists here. Why do you all hate America?

7 Likes

16 Likes

In very related news, some historic Snowden revelations just got delayed… FUUUU…

More:

The midnight release of US citizens targeted by the NSA - some said to be political activists - was halted shortly before a scheduled midnight release for largely unexplained reasons
http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/publication-of-us-citizens-who-are-nsa-targets/

More? (Not sure of the veracity of this one, but here it is…)

Government Stops Glenn Greenwald from Publishing His Big Snowden Revelation … But Others Will Release ALL of the Snowden Documents to Prevent a War

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/07/government-stops-glenn-greenwald-from-publishing-his-big-snowden-revelation.html

In other news: :smiley:

Hands down, Obama is the worst president since WWII: poll

God, I hope that’s true. If so, let this be a lesson to every other piece of shit Democrat who runs on a leftist platform and then runs away from it like a punk after they’re elected.

1 Like

Just as Guile’s Theme Goes With Everything, I believe we can safely say that XKCD Is Always Relevant.

12 Likes

Dude, he has a wife and kids, you don’t think some guys with very nice shoes that weren’t on the oval office schedule didn’t show up and tell him how things were going to be? That’s the been the pattern for every third-world country (with resources anyway) for the last 60 years, why would 'Murica be any different? These guys play hardball, and they’re (mostly) smart enough to not tip their hand. The only reason everybody knows all this stuff now is because a few of the real movers and shakers got arrogant and careless. Now the can is open and we see the worms are everywhere…

3 Likes

Well true, but I would think a decent percentage of BB readers would venture to sites that are more charged or polarized than the content posted here. Heck I’ve seen things on the evening news that showed up on BoingBoing from time to time.

Besides I wouldn’t go searching for “tails” on 4Chan…you’ll end up with umm very not safe for anywhere type of photos. (You know, unless you are into that sort of thing.)

3 Likes

Christ, what assholes.

2 Likes