Inexpensive U.S. wines popular abroad

Very well, I demand you go out and buy a range of California wines, taste them and provide feedback and tasting notes (oh and pixel art of all of them).

Actually, I drink sweet booze because I don’t like the taste of alcohol (which sugar masks), and I don’t like dry beverages in general. I like a Mike’s or a Woodchuck or, if I’m flush, a glass of Asti with dinner. (It’s funny how Woodchuck is as sweet as apple juice but, somehow, still passes with beer snobs who’ll mock you for drinking anything else sweet.) If I want to get smashed, which I do occasionally, I go for mixed drinks instead.

So, no, whatever your justification for the objective moral superiority of your chosen tipple, I’m afraid that sometimes people actually do like stuff because they like it, not because they’re slovenly drunks with no moral fiber.

Classic Sellers farce. The basic set-up was that the government of Grand Fenwick declares war on the United States in the hopes of getting some U.S. reconstruction money as part of the surrender treaty, but the dope leading the assault screws up the plan by accidentally winning.

2 Likes

“Your eight-dollar-est bottle of wine, please!”

3 Likes

Well if you really want to get into the details, there’s also cultural and ethnic considerations.

At the most basic level, certain people are culturally and biologically predisposed toward sweet flavors, while others are predisposed toward bitter. Southern and Western European wines are typically less sweet because culturally that is the norm, and biologically their taste buds are “tuned” towards a certain pallate of flavors. These are regions that also drink other “bitter” beverages, including a lot of coffee and tea, typically with minimal sweetening.

Move further north and you get a tendency towards sweeter drinks, with the Nordic countries having “grown up on” honey mead and wines made from sweet berries instead of sour grapes. Move east toward the Levant and you get more exotic flavors like citrus and spice in your drinks, as with limoncello and arak.

Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with liking one type of drink over other. The whole “wine establishment” and market is a bit silly, but the association of bitter and unsweet wines with being “high class” and “cultured” has less to do with the sweetness of the wine and more to do with drinking the kind of wine that is associated with Old Europe. The idea is that Europe is traditionally “high class” and “cultured”, and thus emulating their tastes in wine allows one to by extension adopt or at least ape their lofty social status.

2 Likes

There is a similar phenomenon with most ‘New World’ wines - NZ, Australia, Chile as well as the U.S.A. The underlying reason is that most new world outfits use modern technology that is easy to sterilise and can maintain constant temperatures for long periods of time.

This allows the producers to make wine of very consistent quality cheaply. Whereas cheap french wine (Vin Ordinaire, Vin de Table) can be truly dire, cheap bottles of wine from most new world sources tend to be of reasonably good quality. This type equipment was much later in getting established in Europe - largely due to conservatism an snobbery within the French wine industry.

3 Likes

Whaddya talkin’ about? The Coke vs. Pepsi wars were only ended after unspeakable crimes against humanity, the extinction of several types very valuable primate species and over a 120 million humans dead in the heartland… and I won’t even get into things like Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, and the freaks who like to mix sodas together at fast food restaurants that let you dispense your own.

PS: Ever try mixing tonic with cheap white wine? Fantastique!

It wasn’t gin, and I did not make it in a bathtub.

It was “wine” and it was made on a nice, warm radiator.

1 Like

“Wine”

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php

As far as I remember it md2020 , boones farm and similar products are produced by taking cheap bulk California wine and stretching it with water, sugar and flavorings. Regardless of where the company is based. Also these products are typically illegal to sell in surpermarkets and convenience stores, so in ny they’re made from malt liquor rather than wine.

A piece on making your own wine from the Sneeze…
http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php

Actually, I didn’t care to get into details – but interesting points, nonetheless.

We’ve only done it thousands of times!

https://www.google.com/search?q=link:www.google.com#q=link:gawker.com+site:boingboing.net

I can lead the horse to pruno, but I can’t make it drink it.

Odd. You use scare quotes correctly in your post, and yet you seem to have misunderstood my identical usage of them in mine. :wink:

2 Likes

“[the US] certainly doesn’t make any good wines.”

Well. . . .

As someone who used to drink Thunderbird and Night Train and Wild Irish Rose when he was a college student, I can say that it depends on your definition of “good.” Cheap port has its place-- Night Train used to be “$1 out the door”-- they had geared the price to cover tax, so you only needed one dollar even. If your definition of “good” was a quick cheap buzz, then yes, Night Train is good.

Once I outgrew my fondness for crappy US ports, or “fortified wines”, I found that almost any dry red wine is quite good. I would place money on most wine snobs not being able to tell the difference between good American, Australian, Chilean, or European wines in a blind taste test.

[edited for clarity]

(These are parentheses.)

I know I know! I was making a theoretical point about our tangent!

Ok, ok. Tomorrow write “5 surprising article themes that you can’t believe are in a Boing Boing post,” and see whether you or Boing Boing get called out by name.

Heck, CVS in San Diego seems to specialize in cheap Californian wines – most of them well under $10/bottle. And many of them quite pleasantly drinkable if not spectacular.