Intercept: fearless, adversarial journalism

[Permalink]

1 Like

Perhaps should you also consider adding quotation marks around the ā€œfearless, adversarial journalismā€ slogan in your blurbā€™s title.

1 Like

adĀ·verĀ·sarĀ·y
ĖˆadvərĖŒserē/
noun
noun: adversary; plural noun: adversaries

one's opponent in a contest, conflict, or dispute.

adĀ·verĀ·sarĀ·iĀ·al
ĖŒadvərĖˆse(ə)rēəl/
adjective
adjective: adversarial

involving or characterized by conflict or opposition.
"industry and government had an adversarial relationship"

Maybe this is just me, and maybe Iā€™m just something of a stick in the the mud, but doesnā€™t ā€œadversarialā€ seem like the wrong quality one should be touting as a journalist?

1 Like

Iā€™m getting a 503 error on the link.

2 Likes

I guess when Foxā€™s tagline is ā€œFair and Balancedā€ and most journalists seem to fall into the ā€œlapdogā€ category, ā€œadversarialā€ is a fair way to distinguish your product.
I would prefer to see something like ā€œinvestigationalā€ usedā€¦

ā€œAdversarialā€ is an excellent quality for a journalist to have. Itā€™s one way of differentiating themselves from stenographers.

6 Likes

Exactly the right quality, I would think, and one that has been seriously MIA for about a decade or so, until recently. The vast majority of what Iā€™ve seen in the Western press had been curiously muted regarding the sorts of assaults weā€™ve been seeing on democratic processes and the rule of law. The most useful function of the press has always been to shine a bright light on dark places. Iā€™m sure that the people who create those dark places and flourish in them are wont to see that as ā€œadversarialā€. One might as well wear the term as a badge of honour.

7 Likes

The Intercept - The Intercept
seems to work ok

Edit:
Links to the articles still donā€™t workā€¦

1 Like

One can be dogged and dedicated to uncovering the truth independent of the statements of others without making oneself into an enemy.

Thereā€™s a difference between inquiry and conflict.

1 Like

503ā€™d here too right now. I was reading the article on drones when it seemed to start up - I couldnā€™t get back to the news front page. Server is overloaded, probably.

My problem is that you seem to equate the unambiguously negative ā€œadversarialā€ with other more positive qualities such as ā€œtenaciousā€, ā€œinquisitiveā€, ā€œboldā€, and the like.

Only a great fool thinks he has to become an adversary - an enemy, a foe - to be brave, resourceful, or independent.

1 Like

You looked up ā€œadversarial,ā€ but ā€œadversarial journalismā€ is a nearly-lost term in itself. Nearly lost thanks to modern ā€œjournalismā€.
Greenwald vs Keller - adversarial journalism vs mainstream journalism

3 Likes

Only a very great fool thinks that, if he exposes what a person or group of people is actively trying to hide, that he wonā€™t be seen and treated as an adversary. Weā€™ve seen a lot of that already as the Snowden revelations have continued.

ā€œAdversarialā€ is like very nearly any other word: the connotations are only negative depending on the context. Ecclesiastes, eh? ā€œTo every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavenā€¦ā€ Some things should be opposed, and one hopes that our journalists have the moral fibre to oppose them.

5 Likes

Except in that article, ā€œadversialā€ is being used to mean ā€œopenly partisanā€, or put another way, unabashedly biased.

I donā€™t know about you, but I donā€™t want bias in my news reports.

When your news organization has an agenda, it falls prey to things like ā€œconfirmation biasā€. The last thing I want is to be getting my information from a source that is very likely to overvalue evidence that supports what they already believe while undervaluing or ignoring evidence which goes contradicts those same beliefs.

1 Like

Since the NSA seems to view any small questioning, or even any release of minutia about their operations as an attack by an enemy, then I would say adversarial is completely appropriate.

4 Likes

Except weā€™re talking about a news organization branding itself.

They arenā€™t marketing themselves to the people who oppose them - theyā€™re marketing themselves to the general public, to the people they hope to attract as viewers and readers and consumers of their media.

Consequently, your argument now makes it sound like you and many others are more interested in seeing a news organization start fights and create conflict than you are in their accurately and objectively informing the world about current affairs.

Please see my response to PatRx2 on this point.

I think those are two different things though. Investigational reporting is uncovering facts. Questioning the powers that be in an aggressive way and with a point of view has been Greenwaldā€™s way. He doesnā€™t simply report the data. He takes the standpoint of a civil rights attorney in his pieces. And that is confrontational, as opposed to others who get facts and quotes, often from both sides of he spectrum, with balance. Some may say that is the job of a dispassionate reporter, but one side may actually weigh more for justice, in the context of legality and fairness.

4 Likes

I already saw it. And Greenwald already has a ā€˜brandā€™. He is not out to become the staid AP, just-the-facts-maā€™am kind of news person, he wants to poke the bear. Now you might not like that style, but that doesnā€™t mean that the adjective doesnā€™t apply.

1 Like

Hereā€™s how it works: the president makes decisions. Heā€™s the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Just put 'em through a spell check and go home.

2 Likes