iOS app Signal promises free, 'strongly encrypted' mobile voice calls

[Permalink]

And with a quick NSL to Apple, every version delivered to iPhones is a compromised, NSA friendly version.

Already, interest in TOR puts users on the NSA’s list of people to watch. I wouldn’t be surprised if apps like this make great honey pots for the NSA.

“For free” if you don’t pay anything for your data usage.

“Way more expensive than just phoning” if you have my plan.

I was kind of wondering about that. I’m not techie enough to make a difference - is there any easy way to audit the code?

I don’t think there is any “easy” way to audit the code. And even if there was, you’d still need an NSA man-in-the-middle-proof way of getting the audited code, not an altered version.

One thing recent revelations about the flaws in open source encryption and security projects have shown us it is that trivial seeming, easily overlooked code problems - deliberate or accidental - can utterly compromise communications security.

2 Likes

This looks legit, but my concerns mirror @Skeptic’s.

That’s quite the contact list.

1 Like

This app, in case Android users don’t go to the link provided, is compatible with Redphone, written by Moxie Marlinspike, which provides the same functionality.

The Whispernet project is bankrolled by Mark Shuttleworth.
https://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/about-us/

2 Likes

<em voice=“announcer”>Download now to generate salacious conversations for the NSA to decode. Now featuring these tantalizing topics: Grocery Lists, When You’ll Be Home from Work, Who’s Picking Up the Kids?, and Grandpa’s Kidney Stones!</em>

2 Likes

Seems that it would still be subject to meta-data tracking…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.