Irish teacher job rejection: "Irish alcoholism nature"

[Permalink]

According to the World Health Organization South Koreans consume an average of 12.3 liters of pure alcohol per capita annually versus 11.9 liters per capita for Ireland. Maybe the Irish are just worse at holding their liquor?

10 Likes

The reputation of the Koreans as hard drinkers is legendary among my Korean relatives.

10 Likes

well, there’s Irish alcoholism and then there’s Korean alcoholism. The Koreans have some high standards!

11 Likes

Racism yay!

5 Likes

“Maybe you’re not an alcoholic, but we’ve got enough of our own, sorry.”

4 Likes

Those darn Koreans… they’re all the same!

2 Likes

Any chance this article originated from The Sun or Daily Mail? This story resembles an internet hoax, the punchline being “but they seemed strangely welcoming of dogs”.

3 Likes

Racism can be funny. This was bigotry. I only hope the two words continue to mean different things!!

As for the post, I think she ought to have corrected the grammar, as reply.

Pot, meet kettle.

2 Likes

rac·ism ˈrāˌsizəm noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Here, the potential employer expressed their belief that Irish are drunks. That’s racism.

Many things can be funny - given the right context. Here the context was a person seeking employment. Not funny. Not funny at all.

5 Likes

Correct. And in the context of the act of bigotry against the Irish, this example of racism was not funny.

big¡ot¡ryˈ
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
“the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry”

also

1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one’s own. 2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

I’m not buying what you’re selling.

The potential employer here pre-judged the applicant based on a hateful stereotype of the applicants race. This was clearly prejudice based on race and not intolerance based on creed, belief or opinion. Most of the world sees this sort of thing as racism.

I’m not sure what the point of responding to a sarcastic quip about apparent racism saying it was not racism but rather bigotry and then posting a definition of bigotry which does not fit the facts at hand but you seem determined to prove or defend something so you go right ahead and do that.

2 Likes

I think the point was that the Irish are not a race.

2 Likes

If that was truly his point, it is not only poorly made but also obtuse and tone deaf.

When speaking in the context of social science and cultural anthropology (which is appropriate when discussing social interactions such a racism and bigotry), race is a social construct also referred to as ethnicity.In the case of the Irish (and all Celts), the specific race is the Milesian Race (people descended from Milesius of Spain).

To argue otherwise would be to support the argument that racism against African Americans is not in fact racism since African American is not a race.

6 Likes

Race may be a social construct, but society has generally not consrtucted different races of white, European people. It has constructed blacks as a race, and racism against African Americans can largely be viewed as racism against blacks, which makes some sense since African Americans who are affected by racism are black (and not white Americans who have ancestry in Africa, like Charlize Theron or something).

On the other hand, if this was a letter from a Protestant principal at a private school in the US rejecting an Irish Catholic schoolteacher because the Irish are alcoholics, would you call it racism? (I bet things like this actually happened as recently as 60 years ago.)

Race may be a social construct, but society has generally not constructed different races of white, European people.

Unless you were German and Jewish, Russian and Romani, Yugoslavian and Croatian, etc etc etc. You know, people who have been hunted, exterminated, run out of their homes all due to their ethnicity…

Irish is a national and ethnic group. Ethnicity is what we are discussing when we discuss race.

Yes, of course I would. Just because you aren’t aware of the significant ethnic differentiation between the European races/ethnicities does not mean what happened is not racism.

You may want to read about Irish slavery ( and no I’m not going to try to compare several hundred years of black slavery to the Irish). The Irish were considered a lesser race by most Europeans for a very long time and were sold as a cheap slave alternative to the healthier and stronger African slave. This was a process of de-humanization, as is all slavery, whereby people are no longer considered fully human. I think if that sort of thing happens to a group of people, we can safely say they are now a race of peoples, an ethnicity unto themselves.

8 Likes

Cue Music: Stereotyping, Gangam Style!

So why not using the accurate word? Wouldn’t that solve the misunderstandings in an elegant way?

It started with me posting “Racism yay!” as a sarcastic quip and AcerPlatanoides seemingly taking issue with me calling it racism and not bigotry. Then bwv812 decided to say Irish is not a race. That’s why I had to take a step back and explain that when we discuss race we are discussing a social construct known as ethnicity.

In other words. “Anti ethnic slurs, yay!” wouldn’t have been as pithy but wouldn’t have ended up confusing some folk who don’t have a firm grasp on what racism and race are.

5 Likes