It's not Net Neutrality that's at stake, it's Cable Company Fuckery

[Permalink]

3 Likes

John Oliver is great and I’m glad he has his own show now. I’d also recommend the clip about Tony Abbot. http://youtu.be/c3IaKVmkXuk He makes George W Bush look like a genius.

9 Likes

PREVENTING cable company fuckery. The word “preventing” is nontrivial.

1 Like

Wow. “Incandescent” is no exageration!

This is right up with ViHart’s amazingly clear (and hilarious) analysis of the “cable company fuckery”.

4 Likes

I sure hope BoingBoing takes up the nomenclature change and no longer uses the coopted term “Net Neutrality” and all articles on the subject use the now proper term “Cable Company Fuckery”

…And all the Trolls listen to John Oliver

6 Likes

I tried to submit a comment. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the state of government IT: “org.hibernate.exception.LockAcquisitionException: could not insert”. Government should govern. Not code :<

1 Like

ewww…is that java? why!!! i mean it’s bad enough their front end is shit covered in mold painted on a screen with a bloody tampon but their backend somehow managed to be WORSE!?

i’m sure a no bid contract was involved.

That’s exactly what I experienced. 3 hours after you.

This was an absolutely wonderful segment!

The best non-ironic part for me — FCC backwards is CCF, aka Cable Company Fuckery. Please, someone, start a new hashtag and make this a thing!

3 Likes

Watched entire clip. Video and sound were out of sync: still watchable, still spot on, still hilarious.

Went to FCC.gov to comment. Not user friendly, but found the link. Clicked…nothing. Nothing!

Refresh, wait 60 seconds, try again…same zilch. I’m certain there is a perfectly normal and legitimate explanation…

There is nothing wrong with your screen. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can change the data speeds to instantaneous. Or slow…it…to…a…crawl. For the rest of your lives, sit quietly, keep paying us and we will control all you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your screen. You are about to participate in our great adventure: the awe and mystery of lobbying wealth and power which reaches from Washington, to your home…to The Outer Limits of Sensible Public Policy.

Will you settle for Alice wondering about her sanity?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76260647@N06/14148617868/

(I had to do it!)

4 Likes

I think the site is just jammed. I was able visit and post.

Incandescent was right. That was fantastic and hilarious. And… at the end, it was like he was talking directly to me!

1 Like

I wish everybody would just take a clear-eyed look at this issue. There are two sides to everything, and while Oliver is extremely eloquent about his side, you’re not thinking about the other side.

Unless cable companies are allowed to do whatever they want while charging however much they want for whatever services they choose to provide, they may be forced to make deep cuts in their lobbying and antitrust-lawyer budgets as well as–and this is what will really hurt–their critical executive bonus structure. Without those bonuses, not only will they not be able to attract and retain top executive talent, but some children of cable company executives may have to go without second yachts, gold-plated butlers, or even hot and cold running caviar.

Remember, Internet trolls, there’s a real human cost to your callous FCC comments. Please think of the children.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.