Japanese Twitter users mercilessly mock ISIS with memes

Sure. I’d support the idea that 4Channers shooping terrorists who threaten to kill Americans is pretty brave, and that the US or Japanese government, if they were to create a totalitarian state in response to this, would be behaving in a cowardly manner.

1 Like

Nearly every one of these looks more like an anime reference than a gaming one to me.

This one appears to be a reference to “Zankyō no Teroru” / “Terror in Resonance”, an anime with two terrorists as the protagonists.

The lower left and right appear to be Suiseiseki from Rozen Maiden; The glasses appear to be Kamina’s from Gurren Lagann; I never got the memo on what the lamas are about, though they seem popular.

This appears to be part of a scene from “Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?” / “Is the Order a Rabbit?”, though I don’t remember it so I can’t explain the reference.

Psycho-Pass

I probably don’t need to explain the Star Wars, North Korea, and Dr. Evil references.

1 Like

You can’t make everybody happy.

Suiseiseki? I didn’t recognize her in a hijab, I thought it was Railgun, Also, how could I miss Hotto Cocoa - maybe it’s because there were no terrorists in the original.

EDIT: Aha, it’s the scene in ep.1 where she opens the closet and finds The des Alizee in her undies, with a gun. Hilarity ensues.

4-chan-ish.

You know that the idea for 4-chan was lifted verbatim off 2ch.net (horrific content and all). The Japanese didn’t invent Anonymous, but they most certainly invented the likes of 4chan.

(In the process, the 2ch bear was repurposed from what was essentially a play on words to what we now know as Pedo Bear.)

I guess I view it as some form of narcissism, or just lack of insight.

Aww turn that frown upside down. This is a battle of ideas and these kids going all 4chan commands tremendous insight. It’s a altruistic act of defiance and unity in the face of barbarism.

Join the fun and build your own:

far removed? that is 2 two of their own right there. impotent perhaps… detached? not really.

Those might be grass-mud horses, although I thought that was more of a Chinese thing.

Or possibly heroically saved from ISIS… It doesn’t have to be Blue Gender. Sometimes it can be Bleach.

I like it. It’s so much better than the shock, horror, and anger that is expressed so poorly by so many Americans. People are dying in the region daily, but Americans only really care when it’s one of their own, and then their outrage is so outsized in relative to their overall disinterest, it leaves me with a vile taste in my mouth. At least the Japanese seem to understand that while it sucks, it’s not something that they can control and that all the anger in the world isn’t going to serve to make situation better.

2 Likes

I’m sure ISIS won’t behead the infidels, even though not beheading infidels is completely counter to their entire philosophy of killing people because they enjoy it.

ISIS is a bunch of savages. Whether or not they’re “truly muslims” is irrelevant. They’re a bunch of fucking savages who’s word isn’t worth shit. Whatever the Japanese do, the nearly certain outcome is that ISIS will kill these hostages anyway. Because that’s what a pack of barbaric savages like to do.

Is that Sad Keanu on a llama?

And please tell me the Doritos is a gamergate joke.

Long term resident of Japan here. No one I work with or know see this incident as about making Japan afraid at all. People see this as a basic kidnap/ransom incident, not as a terror incident. If any mocking is going on its about the idea of payment for hostages who are considered to be stupid to have gone into the Arab world to begin with.

4 Likes

ISIS Crappy Collage Grand Prix

1 Like

The old guy is Don Frye an mma fighter who spend a lot of his career in japan. At the time the movie was made he was arguably more famous in japan than anywhere else.

1 Like

Far removed in that it is unlikely that anybody creating these images actually knows the 2 abducted journalists personally.

You forgot sad Keanu sitting on one of the llamas

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.