Marky Ramone sick and tired of people holding up smartphones at concerts

Yeah, it’s a major deterrent for me too. I wouldn’t say I’ve stopped (still go fairly regularly) but it pisses me off. Kids on my lawn? I couldn’t care less about that.

You, by yourself, for a minute, won’t ruin my enjoyment, but the hundreds (or thousands) that think like you, thus ensuring that there is ALWAYS a sea of bobbing bright lights between me and the stage sure will.

3 Likes

That’s about the only thing that annoys me at concerts.
Don’t tell me to stand ,or sing, or clap or dance or whatever. If I want to, I will.
Phonescreens? Meh. Can look quite pretty from a distance.

I won’t go that far, as I love live music, but I do appreciate that there are artists and venues that are asking and sometimes REQUIRING that people keep their phones put away.
If you lift it up to snap a pic in the Balboa Theater in San Diego, they really don’t say anything. But if you start recording, they come and tell you to stop.
I’ve been to other shows where they will ultimately remove you if you are a pain in the ass with your phone.
Got no problem with that.

This statement is fucking stupid.
This isn’t about telling people to not enjoy art, it’s about being respectful of others.

4 Likes

Other than you are blind if you can’t see through the din of cell phones. I’ve been to concerts where no one has done this, a few and EVERYONE. And not a single show could I not see the screen. You are upset that someone is doing something differently than you are.

You know what pisses me off about concerts that no one seems to care about? Idiots smoking weed in the audience. Depending on how close it is, I can get an asthma attack pretty easily. However, it still bothers me from a distance. You know what? Its how they are enjoying their concert. I’ve learned to live with it because I’m not an insufferable asshole…if I don’t like it, I’ll move, or ask them NICELY to stop with my respiratory problems (the only time I’ve ever asked they were actually really cool about it), or out and out leave. In the end, its my decision of how I want to interpret whats going on around me and unless it is causing physical distress, I don’t really care. But then again, I’m not one to tell someone how to experience their life.

I bet you always stop your bike at red lights too

hashtag not all concert goers

I think you topped your last dumb comment with this one.
No, I assure you, I am not upset about that.

I’ve been going to shows since I was 14, so 35 years, and I can appreciate the enthusiasm of a crowd and of individuals doing their thing to enjoy a show.
That doesn’t mean that people shouldn’t make an effort to be respectful of the others watching said show. And 50 people waving their fucking phones around trying to record a show is annoying.
I saw Gov’t Mule last year - a loud ass rock band I’ve seen many times - and some nozzle behind me in the seats wouldn’t shut the fuck up. I could hear his voice over Warren Haynes’ guitar, for crissake.
This isn’t about him enjoying a show by blabbing to his wife, he’s annoying the shit out of everyone around him.
So I told him to shut the fuck up. And he did.

Actually, if you have a problem why not just do this? Its easy to do so and most people have no problems with it. This is the problem with society, everyone wants to be snarky assholes about things instead of just asking. Asking has always worked for me…as someone mentioned above, I’m a tall motherfucker…I’ve folks ask me to move out of the way for something I can’t really control (at least without surgery). And I’ll switch places with who I’m with to help them out. So much easier to just be nice and ask.

I hereby ask you, on behalf of the people you are pissing off at concerts, to not get your fucking phone out at concerts

1 Like

Being tall is not the same as being an asshole.
Look this up when you get a chance: “self awareness”

When you are behind me at a concert, please ask.

I’m asking you now.

I won’t remember. So please, ask when you are behind me at a concert.

This is what it looks like when everyone thinks it’s no big deal to hold up their camera for “a little while”, except that currently about half of the people at any given time are using iPads (not iPhones…iPADS) to take their photos:

1 Like

In no way do the phones block seeing this artwork. In fact, they may be the only way to do so. The vast hord of people are the reason no one can see it. Phone or no phone, you aren’t going to get a look in that crowd.

Don’t see how viewing a live event you are at via a 5" screen instead of taking it in with your eyes and ears unaided enhances your enjoyment of the art being performed. It seems like you might be confusing enjoying art with recording things for later playback.

1 Like

You do realize very few actually use the screen to view the concert. It enhances the enjoyment because you can now share it with others. It might not mean anything to the privacy crowd here, however, some of us like sharing with our friends. The sharing aspect of our lives is important in a world where folks are less and less connected.

And sharing often allows the unconnected to connect. The second to last show I went to, I took a few quick videos…it wasn’t a huge show, it was one where I was in the club against a wall where absolutely not one was bothered (though I did have someone standing in front of me turn around and point to my phone saying ‘REALLY?’…again, I’m 100% convinced this is more about people upset someone is enjoying something differently). Either way, I took a few shots, and I had one person near by the club show up because of it. I also had a few people ask to join me for the concert I went to last month because of these shots. Folks I hadn’t seen in a while.

Besides, why do you need to ask if “confusing enjoying art with recording things for later playback?” Given the cost of shows these days, a lot of people can’t afford to go to many, and having a once in a lifetime event recorded allows them to relive this event, especially when they may not get opportunities to see their favorite artists that often. Why should you be able to judge if they are to enjoy the art when you enjoy it vs. when they want to? I’m glad you were given this right of arbitration.

Most venues are designed so that your head is just slightly above the head in front of you. That way everyone can see the stage from their paid-for seat.

If you are holding anything above your head, you are in my airspace.

So film whatever you want (instead of living in the moment) but keep it under your damn head.

Please?

2 Likes

And if I can just quote myself form a few years back (and thanks to Boingboing search I can):

Can we all just agree that the person in the first row of any show is ethically required to upload the video so that everyone else can put down their damn phones and enjoy the show?

1 Like