Watch Judas Priest singer kick a phone out of a concertgoer's hand

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/04/watch-judas-priest-singer-kick.html

6 Likes

Yeah when you’re on a dimly lit stage and moving around flash photography is a pretty serious safety problem. Which a lot of people really don’t seem to realize.

17 Likes

I have to say, while I do take some pics, and maybe a short video, there are too many people who fail to live in the moment and are recording so much it is distracting to the audiance as well. Hopefully it won’t be that bad at My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult concert tomorrow.

16 Likes

Jack White has people put phones in lock bags during his shows. Less phone kicking, flashing, zero douche view blocking and a much better concert experience as a result.

7 Likes

Amateur move on the fan’s part, there’s no need to use flash considering that the stage is being lit from the front by plenty of lights. The singer was right to be very annoyed, not sure i would be cool with kicking the phone but i definitely would’ve enjoyed them stopping the show to shame them. Would put a stop to other people trying the same pretty quickly.

Reminds me of the time i saw She Wants Revenge a couple of years ago here in Austin for Halloween and the lead singer stopped the show to give some asshole a piece of his mind for pouring a drink over a balcony and onto someone below them.

16 Likes

if you physically interfere with the Metal God’s performance you now know what will happen…

Roger That!

22 Likes

On one hand, as I have said to my children, “We don’t kick.” On the other hand, if you are in the front row of a Judas Priest concert, getting your phone kicked out of your hand should be regarded as awesome.

43 Likes

What a fun story to tell the phone insurance company.

Uh, you’re not going to believe this but…

12 Likes

Another reason why this old man is kinda sick of the modern world-- everyone’s an amateur photographer now, all the time. They can’t just enjoy the show, or life in general, they have to document it. “Pics or it didn’t happen.”

7 Likes

I dunno. I think it’s just as douchey for Halford to kick a guy’s cell phone out of his hand. Your entire life is on those things. He could have just as easily avoided the camera-guy for the rest of the song and then told him to turn the flash off.

1 Like

12 Likes

Patti Lupone was metal years ago:

8 Likes

I’m only know of Judas Priest by reputation, and am not familiar with their actual music. Would anyone notice if the lead singer changed all the lyrics to “Put away your phone, put away your phooooooone” until people put away their fucking phones?

11 Likes

It would be fun to go to an elementary school event and do this. I estimate that there are approximately 1.5832 x 1032 total hours of unwatched video that people have stored on various formats that will never ever be viewed. With 4 kids, I personally have about 200,000 of those unwatched hours myself.

3 Likes

There I was completely wasted, out of work and down
All inside it’s so frustrating as I drift from town to town
Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
So I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the phone, breaking the phone

So much for the golden future I can’t even start
I’ve had every promise broken, there’s anger in my heart
You don’t know what it’s like, you don’t have a clue
If you did you’d find yourselves doing the same thing too

You don’t know what it’s like

24 Likes

Yeah, but this was a brightly lit stage stormed with huge flashes that overwhelm any camera-phone by orders of magnitude.

2 Likes

Back in my day it was “Stone tablets or it didn’t happen.”

16 Likes

Last time I read about someone trying to kick a phone, it didn’t go well at all.

2 Likes

i’m torn. i understand that halford was probably distracted by the flash, and he had every right to be annoyed, but it’s definitely a dick move to kick it like that. BUT, that’s what makes him metal, right? not giving a shit? on the other hand, i take pix and videos at concerts, but i try to be quick and discreet, and i never use a flash. i resent people judging me or telling me what my experience should be based on. i paid for the ticket – let me enjoy the show my way.

also, i want to see the video from that dude’s phone. it’s only a matter of time.

7 Likes

Down here in the audience
I’m looking up at you
My iPhone traces
Everything you do

You think you’ve private lives
Think nothing of the kind
There is no true escape
I’m watching all the time

I’m made of plastic
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual