An angry Pete Davidson tells student audience they're "f*cking retarded"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/27/an-angry-pete-davidson-tells-s.html

1 Like

I think the key word here is “triggered”. He said “Don’t clap because half of you did it”.

So half the room did something that seriously pissed him off, one can presume heckling of some form.

Edit: yes it was folks recording him on their cells according to Carla’s post. I just glossed right over that

3 Likes

Recording with phones.

I think his complaint boiled down to “being able to follow simple, reasonable instructions is part of growing up”

15 Likes

The something was recording his show with their phones, despite being told that phone recording was not allowed.

5 Likes

He’s been dealing with on and off depression (which he’s discussed in public), pretty publicly for several years now. The very high profile relationship and then break up with Ariana Grande seemed to be very tough on him. I do hope he’s doing okay, because I enjoy his comedy when he’s doing alright.

28 Likes

“Jeez, not sure where his sense of humor went.”

i’m not sure he ever had a sense of humor.

1 Like

I feel 'ya Pete.

Phone cameras are ruining public events.

15 Likes

Yeah… I was going to say… this guy isn’t actually funny.

1 Like

(A) It’s more than slightly ironic that all of us here are only discussing this become some “idiot” recorded the monologue, and posted the recording online. I guess we’re part of the problem.

(B) Is it possible that this is an extreme anti-comedy bit in the Neil Hamburger style? LOL

It’s an oddly cerebral experience watching a comedian bomb so hard with such blatantly bad material that he crosses over into a next level of comedic territory. And it’s especially interesting to consider what reactions a show like this would generate from the uninitiated. It would be an entirely different experience to stumble upon a Hamburger show by accident than it was to witness one with an audience eagerly along for the ride. - Chigago Times

6 Likes

Comedians are not clowns that are impervious to adversity and criticism. They make themselves vulnerable for the sake of their art. Sometimes audiences take advantage of that.

21 Likes

Jack White has the right idea.

5 Likes

“He was one of the first musicians to embrace Yondr’s phone-storing pouches, requiring attendees of his concerts to surrender their phones before entering the venue.”

“I thought it was a big art project at first, just to see if people would think if it was funny, or cool, or just a new experience, like an escape room.” He continued, “To my surprise, and to everyone else’s surprise, everyone loved it. We’ve been doing it now for over a year so it’s been shocking how much people love it.” -consequenceofsound

I’ve been to a few of his shows and it works. Everyone is happy. He’s happy, and the show goes on.

18 Likes

I don’t totally disagree with him. However, it’s not just kids who use their smart phones in a completely rude manner. There is just something about the technology that brings a rude (recording a show) or even dangerous (texting and driving for example) side of people . I’m not sure if it has to or not but the way we use it now sure seems like it has a major downside.

10 Likes

And… they make sure you get your phone back how?

I’d never surrender my phone, but I’m also adult enough to not use it if that’s part of the deal. In fact, I 100% support it. I have to fight my urge to knock them out of peoples’ hands when I’m at concerts.

8 Likes

ah, the irony of him calling them privileged little assholes

6 Likes

It’s basically a coat check I think. You get a little ticket that you turn in to get your phone back.

2 Likes

You keep it. They unlock it (the case) on the way out.

Same goes if you need to make an emergency call, etc.

14 Likes

Thank you for explaining. I went back and read the article. It makes sense, but it’s unfortunate that people have so little self-control that they need a 3rd party to help, essentially, take away the bottle.

4 Likes

I agree with everything he said.

2 Likes

Among people’s biggest fears is public speaking. Now add having to make people laugh for 45 minutes.

Fundamentally, good stand up is a performance art. It is entirely contextual and specific to the people that show up. You read your audience and adjust your delivery, material and crowd work to the people that are at that show. I am not a Pete Davidson fan, but I can empathize with both the need to have unmediated access to your audience and also to not have your performance endlessly critiqued on social media after you have a good night or bomb.

In 2002, there was a documentary about Jerry Seinfeld’s return to stand up and the process of piecing together a headlining act by testing 3-5 minutes parts of it at a time. It is tedious process even for a seasoned professional.

Put your phones away and watch magic (or a train wreck) appear before your eyes.

13 Likes