Maze exhibition in D.C

[Permalink]

My personal favorite feature of the exhibit:

4 Likes

From someone currently stuck in ā€˜the mazeā€™, Iā€™d sure like to get out now.

1 Like

My gosh what a brilliant idea - halfway through you get to see the whole layout. I want one!

National Building Museum is one of my most favoritest places in DC. I donā€™t get to go there enough, dangit.

1 Like

I walked over there over several different days watching them build this maze. It was pretty cool watching it come together, but they seemed to have a really inefficient way of doing it towards the end that the time lapse video doesnā€™t really show. They finished framing all the walls and then put on the plywood skin. But the cutting station was outside the maze, so they would cut a piece of plywood and then have to walk halfway through the winding maze in order to get the piece to the proper spot to be screwed on. They couldnā€™t even step through the stud walls before they were framed, because the walls in the middle were too low. It took 4 guys to hang a single piece of plywood. One would cut it and walk about 20 feet and pass it over a wall to a second guy who would walk a way and pass it to a third, who would pass it to the guy on the ladder to screw it to the studs.

A project like this, once you learn the most practical way of doing it, itā€™s over and youā€™re never going to make one again.

2 Likes

The unicursal labyrinth is Neolithic in origin and is sometimes said to be a symbol for water or a solar symbol. It may also have been the figure used for the mounted or marching activity called ā€œThe Game of Troy.ā€ The unicursal labyrinth occurs both in Europe and the Americas at an early date. The Egyptian labyrinth may have been involved in energy generation, if you believe some of the printed speculations. People still walk the unicursal labyrinth for spiritual purposes and there are many churches which incorporate a labyrinth in the decoration of their floors. There may be some research that shows walking a labyrinth harmonizes the different sides of the brain but that could just be an effect of any walking meditation.

2 Likes

Andā€¦ just why would I believe that?

I like to imagine Tesla meeting Akhnaten at the interdimensional transfer point. Lots of possible interesting stories. At least for comic books.

But, hey, the people back then were at least as smart as we are now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.