Mermaid convention photographs by Arthur Drooker

[Permalink]

Yes, mankind’s oldest dream- being half fish.

2 Likes

So these aren’t professionals like the Wikee-Watchee mermaids? They’re just… hobbyists? I suppose it’s unfair to call them fetishists.

In one of the Jacques Cousteau books I had as a kid there was a story about a woman who was so beautiful a lobster fell in love with her and dragged her into the ocean. She became a mermaid, but the story ended with her becoming more and more like a fish every day. It stuck with me that there was something deeply sad about mermaids.

It’s nice to see a happy…er, what do you call a group of mermaids?

1 Like

They’d probably get upset if you were to say “sea cows” or “manatees” as well…

1 Like

How about a “pod”, like dolphins… I don’t think a “bloat” of mermaiden would go over well. But they’re probably easy to outrun on land if you said it.

2 Likes

Trivia question: who said “They ain’t fish! They’re hoomaner than you’ll ever be!”

Dispite all the obvious biological problems that merfolk present from a scientific perspective, the one hang-up I can’t get past is that the tail fins are oriented along the wrong axis. Fish have tail fins that are parallel with the plane of symmetry; Mammalian fins are horizontal. Either they are half fish and doing it wrong, or they are half cetacean and doing it wrong. Popular mer-culture is perpetuating a lie!

4 Likes

Well the gender-neutral plural is merfolk, but not sure about the collective noun.

Also, those are 10 lucky mermen.

The bride wore a shiny tail while the groom donned a tuxedo T-shirt and black swim trunks—attendees splashed their congratulations as the ceremony came to an end.

Wedding night complications ensue!

2 Likes

First Furries, now… Scalies? Oh dear.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.