Microsoft teams up with Animals Asia to fight bear bile farming in China

[Permalink]

Reads headline - ā€œIs this some kind of superstitious ā€˜medicineā€™ thing?ā€

As it turns out, only sort of. It looks like there is some legitimate medicine behind it, but thereā€™s absolutely no reason not just to synthesize the compound - leaving the bears out of the picture.

It also doesnā€™t sound like a very effective chemical to begin with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursodeoxycholic_acid

So are they just deliberately throttling site loading on non-IE browsers, or are we entering a ā€œrennaissanceā€ of over-animated, long-loading flash-like HTML5 websitesā€¦

1 Like

I dunno, but clicking on Chapter 1 in Safari crashed my Mac pretty hard. Music kept playing but everything else was frozen but the mouse cursor, couldnā€™t force-quit or nothin.

1 Like

Itā€™s far less effective than my preferred alternative: TCM practitioner bile. Unlike these poor bears I put TCM practitioners out of their misery quickly.

2 Likes

It already happened. We need HTML5 blockers. :frowning:

A week or so ago I half-jokingly suggested M$ must have hired someone whoā€™s good at PR, given theyā€™re boycotting that dodgy security conferenceā€¦

If I see another good thing about M$ soon, Iā€™ll have to conclude thatā€™s not a joke.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.