Mor, the ultimate villain-name syllable

Morden from Babylon 5.

Forgot to mention that Ub Iwerks’ creation Mickey Mouse was originally called Mortie, Mortimer, and it was decided the name was too negative, and changed to the cuter, more cheerful sounding Mickey. More evidence of doomy connotations with that syllable?

Basically that would translate as Deady Mouse.

Oh. Don’t know if anyone mentioned Marvel Comics’ 1970’s vampire craze cash-in (Adam) Morbius… the Living Vampire. Though he straddled an inner dichotomy of being ‘good’ but cursed to be sort of a vampire, which is bad.

And of course there’s Professor Morbius in Forbidden Planet, but I won’t spoil why for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

1 Like

Forgot this:

MOAR

Morgenes is a good guy in Tad Williams’ Memory Sorrow and Thorn series.

Satan.

No, wait . . . MORE Satan.

1 Like

You know, I never liked Morey Amsterdam.

1 Like

…not to mention Mory Tyler More and Rose Morie, all getting ahead by working for a Dick. Coincidence? I think not - typical career path for minions, like Sauron working for Morgoth…

“If you value your life, stay away from the moor”

Many years ago i called myself Mortifer, because reasons. I don’t know why it isn’t more popular.

Gemorge Bush

2 Likes

Please, sir, may I have some MOR.

MOR cowbell.

CNN.com delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest top stories, weather, business, entertainment, politics, and MOR.

ls | MOR

1 Like

ObumMOR

Some suggest Mordecai is Babylonian in origin: he is the friend of Esther (Ishtar), and his name means “Marduk kai!” (“Marduk lives!”).

would it be unreasonable to suspect this might have something to do with the Moors, enemies of Europe for centuries during the Reconquista?

Darth Maul?

1 Like

Mormon.

1 Like

Nasty Lilim witch in Gainman’s Stardust called herself Morwanneg. In the book, that meant “wave of the sea”…

Duthbert Mortmain in A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
Morton Koopa Jr, second boss of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.
Mordru the Merciless, DC supervillain.
Mortimer, a character in The Fantastiks who isn’t a villain but who is known for his death scenes.

That has a Cornish root - Morwenna. Same meaning.

Next revelation: why good races end with -ari, and bad ones with -on.