Movie poster for imaginary sequel to They Live

[Permalink]

1 Like

“They Live, AGAIN!”

2 Likes

Clever, but if he really wanted to taunt me he would have conceived a sequel to The Thing. Although I love the eerie ending, so I don’t think I’d want that spoiled.

One of my favorite filmgoing experiences was seeing the 2011 prequel, confusingly also called The Thing. As the credits rolled with Ennio Morricone’s music playing all of us in the theater gathered together in front of the seats and had a spontaneous discussion about the prequel, the original, the 1951 film The Thing From Another World, and John W. Campbell’s short story. There were only eight or nine of us, but we were all strangers, but it was amazing how we came together for a brief time.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, God yes! They Live is one of my favorite 80s scifi films. It was just begging for a sequel.

And of course the classic line:

“I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I’m all out of bubble gum.”

6 Likes

I’m so happy to see Pam Grier in this film, but Kurt Russel is a big downgrade from Rowdy Roddy Piper.

7 Likes

You do know that They Live was released as a decoy?

That it’s really a documentary, posing as fiction?

That said, it’s an awesomely entertaining movie, with a serious allegorical message about 1980’s greed and man’s inhumanity to man.

4 Likes

Just the 1980s? I beg to differ and, in fact, used a still from the movie to illustrate a point about money theology (This is your God) just this week.

2 Likes

Ssh! You don’t want them to know you know!

2 Likes

Ahh, but perhaps I am one of them.

1 Like

Indeed, I was thinking of “This Is Your God”.

Greed is eternal.

1 Like

Um, you do know that everything you put on the Internet is being captured by the NSA and others for future reference? Including this thread. THEY (you know THEM) have many more tools these days.

I prefer to act as if I were still free. Fake it till you make it, as they (the more human them) say.

1 Like

Big downgrade?? Did you not see Big Trouble in Little China? Kurt has mastered wry humor AND action.

5 Likes

“I’m giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin’ that trash can.”

I went to see “They Live” when it came out because I thought it was another sequel in the mutant baby “It Lives” franchise.

2 Likes

Definitely the best 80s action movie about Communist revolution.

2 Likes

While I do like Kurt Russel, and I did like BTiLC, Rod Piper is still alive, let’s have him come back. Maybe he didn’t die in the end?

1 Like

Kurt Russell has had his moments, but every action movie ever should star the WWF heroes of my childhood. Every. Single. One.

2 Likes

Not to knock the WWF, but every action movie ever should star the AWA heroes of my childhood – mainly Verne Gagne versus Mad Dog Vachon.

1 Like

@anon50609448 @karl_jones I don’t suppose there’s any push for every action movie ever starring the FIDE heroes of my childhood - mainly Bobby Fischer versus Gary Kasparov.

I’d pay to see Fischer versus Kasparov in Chess Hard.

1 Like

And let’s not forget about Deep Blue in a remake of Colossus: the Forbin Project, in which Deep Blue uses human beings as chess pieces while calculating every possible game which could ever be played.

1 Like