Mysterious holes in Siberia may be craters of climate change explosions

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this, like, really really fucking bad if itā€™s the methane deposits coming up?

7 Likes

Itā€™s not good. Methane is a pretty awesome greenhouse gas, so releasing it like this could increase warming, which would release methane like this, and so on. Compare with clathrate decomposition in the oceans.

4 Likes

The strongest evidence against it being an explosion is it hasnā€™t been caught by a Russian dashcam. Iā€™m pretty sure since 2012 all explosions in Russia have been documented with video.

Thereā€™s probably a law mandating it or something.

14 Likes

There is a much more simple explanation that doesnā€™t involve climate change theory.

9 Likes

Iā€™m sure that news of an entire field spontaneously going off isnā€™t too far awayā€¦ It is these nice non-linear step-function inputs that are going to throw off climate change predictions (for the worse)

4 Likes

Ahhhh. That would explain why the Koch Brothers have suddenly sponsored a new PAC, Concerned Americans About Mole People (Not Climate Change).

6 Likes

I donā€™t know why, but ā€˜holeā€™ just doesnā€™t really do this justice.

I mean ā€˜holeā€™ is that irritating, well, hole in your trousers (pants for the US.)

I know the rest of the sentence moves on to ā€˜cratersā€™ and ā€˜explosionsā€™, but, seriously, ā€˜holeā€™ just doesnā€™t cover it.

Hell Well

Gore Cavitation

Greenhouse Pit

Methane Hickey

5 Likes

They are all good. It just feels more like a huge thing I would fall to my death in, while running away from an Ebola outbreak. Possibly while getting annoyed with Alanis on my iPod.

1 Like

Giant flaming earth fart.

11 Likes

Not a law, LawSUITS. Russiaā€™s got a weird problem with people deliberately jumping in front of cars, getting hit, and suing, and this has become enough of a problem that many people have dashcams so theyā€™re able to prove when someoneā€™s getting themselves hit on purpose.

2 Likes

Uh, ā€œPingosā€ are young penguins that sound vaguely French to Americans but are actually Japanese.

Oh no wait, thatā€™s something else.

2 Likes

Best Snark ever is from a slate article

According to a Siberian Times interview with the scientists, thereā€™s a clear connection with climate change:

Anna Kurchatova from the Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre thinks the crater was formed by a water, salt and gas mixture igniting an underground explosion, the result of global warming.
Gas accumulated in ice mixed with sand beneath the surface, and that this was mixed with saltā€”some 10,000 years ago this area was a sea.
Global warming, causing an ā€œalarmingā€ melt in the under soil ice, released gas causing an effect like the popping of a Champagne bottle cork, she suggests.

Itā€™s as if the Earth is celebrating. Soon, no more humans!

7 Likes

But on the bright side, ā€œExploding Pingosā€ is a GREAT band name.

3 Likes

I just assumed that the black at the bottom was water but the photo in this article makes it look like the lighter dirt is running down into a huge chasm.

Does anybody know if thatā€™s really open space there? And if so, how fucking deep ARE these things? How could tha not be the first thing someone thinks when writing an article about something like this?

1 Like

BREAKING!

Moscow (AP) ā€“ Shirtless Putin emerges from Siberian Mystery Hole with head of Dire Wolf, leading baby mammoth and Princess of the Mole People.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Thatā€™s my understanding. Not like itā€™s gonna be Venus next year, but really bad. So bad Iā€™ve wondered if the people working so hard to concentrate the wealth - the Davos people - might actually know exactly how bad it will get.

2 Likes

If it is methane, and if it is exploding, at least the CO2 thatā€™s formed has 1/25 the GHG effect of methane.

2 Likes